Author Topic: Sightron S1 rifle scopes  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Troll64

• Trade Count: (0)
Sightron S1 rifle scopes
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:36:37 AM »
I purchased two Sightron S1 3x9 scopes for a couple of new Marlin XL7 .270 Winchester rifles I had purchased. My brother sent me a review from a fella who had three failures while using these scopes on his .338-378 Weatherby magnum. I wrote to the company and asked them if I should be concerned. They sent a reply right back telling me that the S1 scope was designed for small to medium recoiling rifles. For heavier rifles they recommended the SII model or better. The free recoil of the .338-378 Weatherby magnum is 54 pounds in an 11 pound rifle compared to a fairly wimpy 16 pounds from my .270 Winchester. I asked them if these scopes were OK for use on my rifles and they replied "No problem!!" They assured me that if I EVER had a problem with any of their scopes all I had to do was return it and the problem would be resolved right way. I like that.
 For those who may be curious, back in the 1980's I had a .338 Winchester with a felt recoil of 33 pounds. The .338-378 Weatherby dwarfs the .338 Winchester and gives some comparison as to the huge difference in recoil between a standard .270 deer rifle and a monster such as the .338-378....
 Is there a moral to the story here?  I guess for me, and many others in these tough times, the option of purchasing "better" scopes costing hundreds of dollars is just not an option. I paid $139.00 for each of these scopes, (and cried while doing it cause I'm a cheap bastard. :'( ) but I have to say I am impressed with the quality. For the average hunter shooting a rifle from .243 to 30-06 these seem to be a good option. It's not an upper end scope but it is head and shoulders above most in it's class. Add on the great customer service Sightron offers and it seems to be a winning combo. I'm happy with my purchase.
The Lord is my Light and my Salvation;
Whom shall I fear?

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Sightron S1 rifle scopes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »
Thats really great. Thanks for the report of satisfaction. Im thinking real hard on getting a Sightron Big Sky 6x42 and I like to hear positive comments about the company Im considering.

Offline Troll64

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:33:35 AM »
Yep. I have bought a lot of "cheap" scopes over the years. Like playing the lottery from the stories I have heard. Cannot say I ever suffered a failure with any of mine. I realize I have been very fortunate.  I put a $40.00 (1980's) Simmons on my .338 Win. Mag. and even after hundreds of rounds it still held up. Not a big fan of Simmons scopes but I have to admit I suffered no failures..  I like these Sightron scopes. I had a Redfield 4x widefield on a Marlin 30-30 at one time and thought highly of it. Sold the rifle/scope when I moved to the desert. One of the better scopes I have owned. I am trying to start a collection of .270 rifles, (IMO one of the best all around rifle calibers for the hunting I do :)) and I think most will sport a Sightron scope.
The Lord is my Light and my Salvation;
Whom shall I fear?

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:14:24 AM »
i got a S1 for a H&R 270 win, pretty happy with the scope so far but time will tell.  only paid $80 new on ebay a few months back.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
I have an SII and an SIII.  Sightron used to be a sleeper brand but more and more people are finding out about them so you can't find the really great deals on them like you used to.  You can still find good deals on the SI's and some of the non-Big Sky SII's.  Their warranty dept is excellent from what I have heard.  I guy on another forum said he had to return a discontinued model SII and they sent him an SII Big Sky free of charge.  Thats about a $200 upgrade for free.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
 At camp I had started the atv and went back in the cabin to let it warm up. Another fellow backed into a tree with his jeep. A big old limb fell right on the scope which was mounted on the handle bars. It was a SII cheapest model 3-9. Called and told them a tree limb fell on it and they told me how to send it back. I also got a big sky 3-9 in return. Good folks up there. I now have 3 of them. 2 are the cheapest SII and then the big sky they game me. I don't use magnums, .308 is the heaviest recoiler I have one on.
Molon labe