Author Topic: Pentax Game seeker 4-12x40 anyone tried it?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline das bear

• Trade Count: (9)
Pentax Game seeker 4-12x40 anyone tried it?
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:55:21 AM »
I saw this on the web for 69.97 and thought it would be good for a starter rifle setup on a Marlin XS7 308 does anyone have any experience with it? I would hope its better than the simmonds scopes on rifles at wallly world?????

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/pentax-gameseeker-4-12x40-mm-rifle-scope.aspx?a=502864

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Pentax Game seeker 4-12x40 anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:05:01 AM »
I have a couple fixed power gameseekers and like them well enough.

I wouldn't do the 4x12 in a centerfire or at least expect much from it if I did. But I have bought a couple "cheap" higher power scopes with adj objective for my rimfires and have had very good luch with them.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:42:49 AM »
The only thing I don't like is the reticles they put in them.  The glass is real good,but the reticle has too much going on and has cost me a couple of deer when I noticed them at the last minute.  I think they call it gameplex or something...I would much rather have one simple crosshair.  If you going to buy from the Guide, check out the federal intensity...It's about the same price and has a much better reticle and it's not made in China like the gameseeker.

Offline Warhawk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »
I bought a pair of the 4-12x Gameseekers a couple of years ago. Gave one to each of my sons. One went on an FN PBR in .308, the other on a Rem 700 SPS-T in 223.  No problems so far and they really like the scopes.

Offline bbgot

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:13:13 PM »
The Gameseeker scopes are pretty good. I bought one for a AK type rifle chambered in .308 last year from Midway and when it showed up the variable power adjustment ring had come loose from the scope.  I sent it back and got a new one and the replacement has proven to be a VERY reliable scope for me.  I am very happy with it and the Precision Plex reticle as I use the rifle as a varmint gun and the ranges that I am firing at are anywhere from 50-400 yds.

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:29:16 PM »
I have a Game Seeker Pentax scope.  Nice glass and found mine at a local retailer shortly before last Christmas, who happened to have it marked down 30 percent.  I had a coupon, from the internet, for a 25 percent off one item purchase from the store.  So, with the 30&25 percent discounts, got scope for less than Sportmans ad price which you'll add shipping to.
I've no complaints about the scopes optics clarity.  I would prefer not having the crosshairs it has, but for my shooting only paper with the scope, it is OK.  As for its durability, well, its on one of my 6.5 sporter swedes which has a low recoil and I've only shot around 30 rounds with the scope on the rifle.  So, no comment by me on how well its handles recoil would be valid.

Another poster has mentioned the Federal Intensity Optics scopes at Sportsmans Guide and suggested that brand.  I have the aspherical lens 3.8X12 Intensity scope.  I prefer its optics and crosshair over the Pentax game seeker.  Think the Intensity scopes are made in the Philippines and they seem to be same scopes as the Simmons Altecs, which had a decent reputation.  A guy at range one day, who is a serious shooter that uses only Leopolds, Nikons and such, saw my Intensity Scope  and asked to view thru it.  He was impressed with its optics.  Sportsman has the Aspherical 2.8-10X44mm Intensity for same price as the Pentax.  They have sold out of my higher power model.