Author Topic: More on conversions  (Read 686 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
More on conversions
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:29:34 AM »
Looking at the conversion cylinders I see there are 2 types.  One requires gunsmithing and has a loading gate on the cylinder.  The other has individual firing pins on each cylinder and, I assume, must be removed from the revolver before it can be loaded.

Now, the foregoing observation has absolutely nothing to do with my question, but I've already typed it so it's staying.   :P  And speaking of my question, in researching it I found the answer.   ::)

As a handloader, I had wondered about my '61 Navy's .379 dia. bore and the .357 dia. bullets used in the .38 Long Colt cartridge the cylinders are reamed for.  I found this: "This cylinder converts it to shoot the 38 Long Colt cartridge loaded with hollow base or heeled bullets. You can also use 38 Special hollow based wadcutter ammunition."  Okay, it seems like the choice of projectiles is limited and handloading may involve some creative aspects.    ;)

As an aside, I believe this bore/bullet diameter incompatability issue should not be a problem with the 44 caliber handguns since I think they are true 45's.   :-\

But, back to the 36's.  The Uberti 1851 Navy Factory Conversion notes that it is chambered for the .38 Special cartridge.  This begs the question, do they manufacture the barrel for the '51 Navy Conversion Model to different spec's, i.e. a .357 bore, then those used in the standard 1851 Navy, which has a .379-.380 bore ?   ???

Anybody got one?  Anybody ever slug one? 
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Fingers McGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: More on conversions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:33:52 PM »
But, back to the 36's.  The Uberti 1851 Navy Factory Conversion notes that it is chambered for the .38 Special cartridge.  This begs the question, do they manufacture the barrel for the '51 Navy Conversion Model to different spec's, i.e. a .357 bore, then those used in the standard 1851 Navy, which has a .379-.380 bore ?   

In a word - Yes.

My Man With No Name conversions have .357 bores.  I'm pretty much absolutely sure that the .38 special/38 colt open tops & conversions use the same .357 barrels.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »
Well durn there Fingers!   ;D  In a word, thanks!   :D  Now that that question has been answered Ima gonna get me one a then right soon!   ;D

You need to get yo cowboy butt over to the CAS forum and crank things up!  I really need to get involved in that to do more shootin...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:13:15 PM »
Hummm, FIngers me boy.  Lookin at yo avitar... Confederate gray, Cavalry yellow and high top knee guard riding boots... What do that boy in the pic be portrayin?   ;) ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Fingers McGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:32:08 AM »
Farrier Sgt in K Co, 3rd Texas Cavalry circa 1864 shooting a pair of '61 Navy revolvers taken in a raid on a Yankee supply train near Chattanooga.  Also liberated a Henry rifle as well as ammunition, bulk powder, foodstuffs and clothing. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce