Author Topic: H&R Defender 38  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
H&R Defender 38
« on: October 30, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
I just picked up a H&R Defender .38 in .38S&W  Serial Number only has four numbers  33XX.  It's a top break revolver.  Can anyone tell me any more about it.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 32 Magnum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: H&R Defender 38
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »
The H&R "DEFENDER" series began to show up around 1937-38.  The "Defender Special" was the first of the .38 S&W chambered pieces.  First models had non-adjustable front and rear sights.  Later, circa 1940, pieces had adjustable front sights for height, and adjustable rear for windage.  ALL the Defenders were derived from the H&R Model 999 Sportsman frame (early "NEW DEFENDER" models were 2" barrelled Sportsman .22 lr).  My collection includes about a dozen "Defenders" - and the serial number ranges seem to be "batched" rather than sequential.  Your piece should have adjustable front and rear sights and a "gold" bead set into the front sight blade.  It will be an automatic ejecting, 5 shot revolver.  Grip panels will probably be black nylon/plastic with that serial number.  These guns weres produced as secondary firearms for use by security police and plant guards during WW2 when then S&W and Colt firearms were primary for military use.  These guns are generally sturdy, well built and reliable revolvers.  I've fired several of mine over the years and they are "fun" to shoot, using the proper ammo.  Winchester, Federal, MagTech all market .38S&W ammo suitable for use in these old firearms.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:37:49 PM »
32 Magnum:  Thanks for the info.  So far I have been unable to find much on this gun on line.  The info you gave me is what I was looking for.  Thanks again.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »
If you handload and use heavier boolits,preferably cast,and in the 190 to 200 grain,the round is a lot of fun. Mild recoil,pretty good accuracy, in other words,just plain fun!

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:25:25 AM »
If any of you guys want a factory box for a Defender, I'm giving it away on PIF, about ten down the list.
Its not a real early box, serial # AHxxxxx  (1971) is listed there on PIF.

Those are neat revolvers. And I just read from .32mag in this thread the frames were derived from the model 999.
Look how 999's have gone up in value!
.38 S&W is a good caliber - Webley and Enfield Brit Army revolvers were chambered for basically the same round, w/ a 200 gr. bullet I understand.

Offline walnutred

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
I have Defender Special #A890, 4" barrel, black plastic grips, black adjustable sights. I've been experimenting with lighter bullets, rather than heavy ones. Mainly because I found a homemade bullet mold at a flea market that throws a .361 dia, 128gn SWC bullet.  My favorite load using Bullseye powder pushes this bullet 840 fps +/- out of the 4" barrel with good accuracy. That's not bad for the old 38 S&W.  My old Lyman #45 reloading manual lists a load using Unique that pushes the 121 gn cast bullet over 1000fps out of a 4" barrel. I'm too cautious to try that load even in my Lend Lease Victorys.

Offline dogngun

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 04:02:26 AM »
I have an older H&R top break hammerless revolver in my jeans pocket right now. It's also a .38 S&W caliber, was made around 1915, and still shoots well.
I used to load .38 S&W many years ago, using.357" 148 grain hollow base wadcutters, seated hollow base down, over about 3 grains of Hercules Unique. ( I'd really investigate that now - the powder is now made by a different company, IIRC).

The hollow base will open to fill the bore and accuracy is pretty good even with the small sights, certainly very good given the gun's intended purpose of close range self defense.

I recently saw 2 Defenders from the early 1960's and now wish I had bought at least one of them...I am sure you know how that goes...

They are solid guns, and I hope you enjoy yours.

mark