Author Topic: 1851 Navy: Help push me over the edge.....  (Read 792 times)

Offline jay29

• Trade Count: (0)
1851 Navy: Help push me over the edge.....
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:23:58 AM »
Been dreaming about an 1851 Steel Frame Navy for awhile now. I have an 1862 Pocket Police and would like a holster sized gun. Where can I get one at a good price? Post some pics of your 1851 Navies. :D

Offline Rebel-1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 1851 Navy: Help push me over the edge.....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:40:21 AM »
Cabelas has Piettas for $199. They have the brass framed .44 Navies on sale still for $119 plus with the instant $20 rebate they are $99. I got my 3rd one yesterday. They are really good shooters, especially for the sale price. Sale ends the 11th.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:29:46 AM »
Jay - I act as the devil's advocate.  DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!   ;D  I've had a '51 Navy for a number of years.  I've never been able to figure oout who made it but it is a joy to shoot!  One of the best balanced revolvers I've ever handled - strictly my opinion - but for my hands, etc. it is great.  It's like an extension of the arm.   It's no wonder that it was such a popular revolver in the 1800's and still is today.  I recently picked up a "brand new" '61 Colt Navy that was made in 1988, and it too, is a charmer.  Haven't shot it but am anxious to.  the '61 is the same frame size as the '51 but with the streamlined barrel and loading lever.  I want to get a .36 Pocket Police next - probably an Uberti since they make one that is very close to the original - Pietta's is a chopped down veersion of the '61 Navy with a fluted cylinder and I want one that is truly "pocket size".  I haven't handled the Pietta '51 Navy but I got a Pietta '58 Remy Navy last summer and it is top notch - grips don't fit the best - they overhang at the heel of he grip frame but that is easilty fixed.  Finish, mechanics, etc. were perfect right out of the box.  I've been thinking about getting one of their '51 Navies like you are looking at.  If you get it, let us know what you think o fit.  There is just something special about the '51 Navies . . . . like wine and women . . . . they just get better!  Good luck and go for it!  You won't regret having one!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:19:44 AM »
You mentioned you want a steel frame, good idea. Don't be seduced by the pretty brass frames. Brass shoots loose soon.  Uberti is my choice, from Navy Arms.  I've gotten lazy and have R&D cylinders for my BP shooters.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:49:34 AM »
Definitely spend the extra few bucks and get a steel-framed gun.
Not only do they reportedly last longer, I've found that in most instances the steel-framed guns are simply better made; their fit and finish is better.
My own suspicion is that brass-framed guns are made quickly, and not as well made or finished, in the hope that the gleaming brass will catch the ignorant buyer's eye and he won't notice or care about these failings.
When I say "ignorant" I mean one who does not know, not one who is stupid. I am ignorant about Russian ballet and raising rabbits, as well as a host of other topics.
There was a time when brass and steel-framed guns of abysmal quality were commonplace. Today, generally speaking, steel-framed guns are better made but few of their brass-framed counterparts have caught up as well.
There are exceptions. I've seen a few well made, brass-framed revolvers over the years. Nonetheless, the brass-framed guns have to be loaded a little weaker than the steel-framed versions, if they are to last for years.
But a brass-framed gun can be a good first gun, if money is tight or if you're not sure you'll pursue cap and ball revolvers as a hobby. They can be excellent teachers; just don't use maximum charges if you want it to last.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 01:47:38 PM »
Gatofeo - I think you've got a good hold on why brass frames sell well sometimes - first is the price - cheaper and if someone doesn't have a lot of $$ to get started in the hobby - they can be a good way to get started.  Second - sometimes people are like crows or packrats - "things that glitter" catch our eye.  We all had to start somewhere and if dollars are an issue, a brass frame is a good place to start if you keep the loads lighter and make sure you check it over for problems - loose cylinder shaft, etc. (on Colts) or damage to the recoil shield from too heavy of a load on all of them.  All of my revolvers are steel frame but one - a short barreled version of a Griswold & Gunnison that was sold by Navy Arms yeasrs ago.  I love it as it is a good one to carry on the farm for varmits because of the barrel length.  I keep the loads lighter and it doesn't get the workout that my steel frame '51 Navy gets.  I was interested in your comment about ignorance about such things as Russian Ballet and raising rabbits though.  I'm "jesting" of course - but think of the possibilities your comment on the Ballet and rabbits presents - a whole new aspect to "broadening our horizens" and as the wife says once in a while - "a little education in the fine arts wouldn't hurt you".  Just think of it - a whole new sport!  Hunting rabbits with a black powder pistol while wearing a ballet "tu tu".  Wearing those hard toed slippers the ballet dancers wear when they dance on their toes would allow you to "tippy toe" up on them rascally rabbits - you could then give a shout and when they saw you wearing a "tu tu" - they'd be so awe struck that they'd freeze in their tracks and you could blast 'em.   ;D  Sorry . . . sometimes my imagination gets carried away . . . .  :o
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Rebel-1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
You keep imagining things like that and you may get carried away too.  In a straight jacket :D ;D