Author Topic: Wheel Weights with some other matter appearing when melted  (Read 781 times)

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Wheel Weights with some other matter appearing when melted
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:48:33 AM »
Wheel Weights with some other matter appearing when melted down::::::

A couple of years ago, I read warnings to casters to avoid Zinc WW and other metals being used today.  I had never had a problem with that type of wheel weights.  I did have a problem this morning.

This morning, I melted down about 40 pounds of wheel weights.  Note: that I have been doing wheel weights and casting for 30 years.  I have never seen such a floating substance on the top of the melt.

I skimmed off all the W W clips and then I had a purple/bluish film on top.  I couldn't get it off by skimming.  With my huge casting dipper (3 pounds) met with the bluish gunk, it would cling to the dipper as I poured the lead into the ingot molds.  I could cause the gunk to separate, mostly from the lead as the lead would pour from under the gunk into the mold and the gunk stuck to the mold like a thick film.

Buttttttttttttt, some of the gunk did go into the lead ingots

Does anyone know what might have caused that bad scene?  I'm reluctant to put the ingots in my casting pot.

It almost smelled like plastic.  It cleaned off the steel pot very easily after cooling, though.

Offline boommer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Wheel Weights with some other matter appearing when melted
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:55:29 PM »
Had the same thing happen with one pot of lead pipe and the ingots I ended up with a blue purple color to them. I don't really know what the heck it was, but I use that lead in my lee pot mixed with some W/W and the bullets casted fine good fill out and weight. I know what you are saying, skim and skim and hangs on the spoon and it keeps coming back! I can't see where it would be Zinc,being that it was old lead pipe.
I have read about casting zinc bullets they are hard and shatter on impact as far I have read.

I have been smelting and casting for a few years now and the clips start floating you pull them out and anything and anything that don't melt right away and seems to not to melt when you stir and it has squared edge's it's zinc and keep your temp down to 700 and below. I,m sure you know that but this is for others.

Sorry I couldn't  help with the funk but mine happen with lead pipe (pure lead) like to hear if anybody knows.
This didn't happen on my first walk though park either.   

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
Linux Mint Mate 15

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »
A blue ting will appear on top of any lead melt if you get the temp high enough. thats why you see it more with pure lead. it takes a higher temp to melt pure lead. It is nothing but oxidation
blue lives matter

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:00:54 AM »
Zinc wheel weights have a higher melt temperature, AND they usually float with the clips.  Found that out when a couple of shiney weights wouldn't melt with the rest of the lead.   

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:08:12 AM »
As a plumber ( before plastic ) we used tons of lead . Some days we usde over 400 lbs pouring joints . Lioyd is 100% right .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !