Author Topic: Lee Loaders  (Read 623 times)

Offline LilNewt

• Trade Count: (4)
Lee Loaders
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »
So I finally got my classic loaders in.  And I have been real curious how they size brass.  And when I look at them it looks fairly simple, but at the same time I am not sure still.  Do they only size the out side of the the neck?  Do not most sizing dies size the inside of the neck also?  I understand that they only size the neck, but I thought that sizing a neck included the inside also.  I am confident in the loaders capability, so I am not worried, just curious.  Anyone have any comments on this?  Thanks!

Offline kid_couteau

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
Re: Lee Loaders
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:54:43 AM »
I find that the primer knockout pin is the correct size for sizing the inside of the neck.  So if there were a bend in the neck this would fix it.

HTH
Kid

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:13:46 AM »
The rod that you drive the case out of the size die with is what will size the inside of the neck. Be very aware with these type dies. If the cases you are reloading were not fired in your rifle there is a very good chance that they will not fit your chamber.

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 02:38:49 AM »
Thanks guys, that makes sense.  I have not yet read any instructions that came with them.  Just took a look before heading to bed.  I figured that they had to have some way of sizing. 

I understand about the case thing.  Bought some new cases to go with the kits.  I wont be shooting a whole lot, so they should last me a long time.  Between family and work there is not much time.

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:47:43 AM »
"I have not yet read any instructions that came with them."

That's always a good thing to do, especially for reloading.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:58:08 AM »
Super high quality piecde and a bargain at the price. Very cool to actually produce ammo with it. The Lee Loader is neat if you want 20 cases to last you the rest of your life.

For ANY kind of volume or multiple calibers or sizing issues, a Lee Hand Press, Lee Auto Prime and some dies are a much better choice.

You want a rubber hammer and a flat surface that you can pound on (ie, not the kitchen table), again, why I find a Lee Hand Press more useful.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
LilNewt

First you need to compare apples to apples , what a Lee Loader or most Neck Sizing dies do is different from what a FL Sizing die does --- Let me explain .

With just about all the standard FL sizing dies , the neck is compressed more than what is needed for standard bullet tention ( too small ) and is then expanded back out as the expander ball is pulled back up out of the cartridge case , this is also what causes the case's to grow in leingth ( neck pull ) .

While a standard NECK die or the Lee Loader is used to only slightly compress the neck from the outside to allow for proper neck tention , this is also why Neck dies allow for more loadings between trimmings .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I know I left myself open when I made that comment on not reading the directions yet.  But to clarify things, I have read it now, and had no intention on even starting reloading before I did.  EVEN though the instructions said nothing that I had not already found out.

Case life is much more preferred right now as most of my reloading will be for hunting purposes.   I know that the shooting bug will bite once I really start loading up ammo, and then eventually I will move to a press of some kind, but for now speed is NOT an issue.  Shoot, I already wish I was able to start on loading some ammo but do not have any time right now.  And contrary to popular belief (just to nip it in the bud about buying the loading stuff for just producing hunting ammo), I WILL save money reloading over buying store bought ammo.  I have already done up the numbers and I will be able to produce ammo at home now for .75 or less (sorry don't have the numbers with me) per round. I understand that I wouldn't shoot 200 rounds in a years time, but regardless, the ammo I will produce will be produced below store bought prices, plus its gotta be much funner than going into the local walmart and buying it from them. lol

I also realize that a fl sizer does size completely different than a neck sizer and that is why I wondered how the lee loader did it.

I really do appreciate the comments, I am new to this, but the reason I reply like this is because I don't want you all to think I am a haphazard newbie that thinks he is going to save a penny by reloading and is going to eventually blow himself up or one of his friends.  That is not at all the case.  I love the fact that there is so much to this, it has really intrigued me to look, search, and learn about reloading.  Much, much different than anything that I have ever done before.  I could probably walk a person that has never known about reloading through the basic process and I have not even laid my hands to building a single round yet.  I am confident in the process, I am now in the middle of deciding on what powder to use.  I know that it could be as simple as just buying some that a manual says I can use, but I want to weigh my options and get one that I will not be disappointed with or scared of at the same time, if that makes any sense.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »
PLEASE PLEASE, DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR. Buy, borrow a good loading manuel, I recomend, the LYMAN manuel.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 06:22:42 AM »
Yes, I plan on it.  I have been getting several different kinds of load data from resources online.  One problem I am encountering though, with all the different manufacturers reload data, ie; sierra, lee, hodgdon, imr, winchester, is that one will state the starting load of one powder type and when you compare to another it will say that is the maximum.  I didn't think that it would vary to that degree, but it is pretty varied information.  Not sure what to think now.  And if I go get another manual I am almost afraid its going to give me another set of numbers that dont match up.  The best bet I can figure is to start with a medium low weight and then watch for pressure signs from there. 

So in short, yes reloading manuals are good, but when they conflict with their data it can be very confusing.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 07:39:14 AM »
One important item to note is that all reloading data, whether found online or in manuals, usually comes with a WARNING or Notice somewhere within that states something similar to the Hodgdon online Load Data which most fail to read before entering the site.
It states: The information displayed on this site, including ballistic data, was derived from tightly controlled laboratory conditions. This information and data may vary considerably depending on many factors, including the components used, component assembly, the type of firearm used, reloading techniques, safety precautions practiced, etc.

In a nutshell, they are telling you that your results may vary.

IMHO, the manual loading instructions and safety measures involved in handloading are far more important that the load data they provide.

Bill

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 08:45:18 AM »
I've got a brother who uses one.
He only reloads for his Marlin in 45-70.
Does a nice job for him and completely meets his needs.
So it's kind of different strokes for different folks.
I think you'll find it does a nice job.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member