Author Topic: Help me sight in my rifle, please  (Read 609 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Help me sight in my rifle, please
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:00:26 AM »
I use a browning .358 for spring bear and it has served me well but last spring I missed a big bear at around 170 yds in an open field, I've never missed one before(close shots) but now my confidence is shattered.
   Ordinally I sight .250 grn hornady at 2350 1 inch high at 50 yds which allows me to hit gallon jugs at 200 yds. What should it be sighted in for and what would the trajectory be to 250 yds   also what would it be with the old 200 grain silvertips ?
    I will be going to the same stand this spring and I don"t want to mess up again. I would really appreciate some help with this, thanks.

Offline flintlock

Re: Help me sight in my rifle, please
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:06:39 AM »
It's best to shoot it to see...I'd go with 2-2 1/2 high at 100 yards and see where she hit at 150-200-250...

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:09:03 AM »
I do not think you are having a sight in problem.
 think you are having a shooting position problem.
When I was in Military school they taught us how to shoot and when  would go shooting with my father before hunting season I would lay down and start to shoot to show how tight of a group  could make.  My father after I showed him a 3 round group  was proud of said  "that was good now how many deer do you think you are going to shoot laying down?  Practice shooting how you will shoot in the field."  
On my first pig hunt I did what you did and sighted in my rifle at 200 yards and was shooting 1 liter soda bottles off the bench but missed a couple of pigs at 70 yards off hand.  
I think practice  in what position you shoot will be your best bet.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
Winchester publishes charts to tell you exactly what you want to know . look up your bullet on line .
mcwoodduck, I have shot both deer and turkeys laying down . That's what they get for waking me up !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline red alder ranch

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »
Hornady has an online ballistics calculator, too.

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

But I can second the suggestion to practice off hand shooting, too. I went out and bought a M44 Mossberg 22 and try to go out and practice off hand shooting every few days. After just a few weeks I am already getting a lot better.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »
LOL.
I am usually sleeping with my back up against a tree when the deer wake me.  The big 8 pointer I shot in High School that woke me I actually had to look around to find my rifle.
I did shoot one deer laying down, it was a 270+ yard shot in Montana and I was shooting from a lava dyke to a field. 

One thing I wanted to say too is shooting from position does not always have to be done with your 358 you can use a 22LR to practice or even dry fire (snap caps) to practice position.  Getting ready for an Elk hunt I was walking with either a 9 or 12 pound rod weight, a back pack weighted to simulate all the gear and clothes I wear + 7 pounds, and when I got home I would break out the pellet rifle and shoot 4 or 5 rounds with it.  That way my muscles were used to a long walk and setteling down to make the shot.
At the range I belonged ot in So Cal I saw a guy that used his tree stand on one of the telephone polls to practice shooting from it for an upcomming hunt.  Not sure a public range will let you do it but can't hurt to ask.  Especaily on a slow day.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
I use a browning .358 for spring bear and it has served me well but last spring I missed a big bear at around 170 yds in an open field, I've never missed one before(close shots) but now my confidence is shattered.
   Ordinally I sight .250 grn hornady at 2350 1 inch high at 50 yds which allows me to hit gallon jugs at 200 yds. What should it be sighted in for and what would the trajectory be to 250 yds   also what would it be with the old 200 grain silvertips ?
    I will be going to the same stand this spring and I don"t want to mess up again. I would really appreciate some help with this, thanks.

I sight-in all my deer rifles (except for my "beanfield") to be dead on at 150 yards.

I use an 11”X17” target with a bullseye near the top.  Then shoot a group at 200 and another at 250 on the same target.  Measure  down from the bullseye to the center of these 2 groups.  Put a piece of masking tape on the scope listing the zero range, drop at 200 and the drop at 250 yards.
    Ray

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 06:29:52 AM »
You have been given basically two thoughts on your problem. One is know how much drop you are getting at different ranges - do not guess; know. Shoot that distance and you will know. The other is shooting in position. This is important that you practice, practice, practice. Using a 22 rim fire is a good place to start, but do not forget to shoot the 358 some too so you are used to it. You will get to the point of making 250 yard shots with extreme confidence. There is nothing like trigger time to fix most any problem. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »
I agree with others that suggested moving to 100 and resiting in.

I have tried a couple times to do as your doing and haven't ever had much luck at it. See the margin for error is larger at closer range. In a perfect world, it should work just fine. But in reality you should be shooting at the exact distances you expect your game to be shot at... So you KNOW where and how your bullets will hit.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52:21 AM »
One thing that works for me when trying to shoot off hand is turning the scope power down. When it's way up the slight jiggle just blows my concentration.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 02:10:27 AM »
Country Boy,
The first rifle i had was a22 . It had a scope . It was the first such set up. I put a tin can , QT size in a tree and shot and ajusted the scope until i could hit it every time . I was about 25 yards away . I started backing up , shooting and adjusting until i could hit every shot . I got to 100 yards and had shot the better part of a brick of ammo in 2 days . I could hit that can from anywhere from point blank to about 100 yards . At some point i settled on a setting and learned to hold high or low . The next weekend season opened on limb rats and the pratice paid off .
Best thing you can do is same as I did , learn your rifle by shooting it . I have repeted that exersise many times since .
Good luck .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !