Author Topic: Self-defense handgun  (Read 909 times)

Offline JayLS1-327

• Trade Count: (0)
Self-defense handgun
« on: October 27, 2003, 04:51:28 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the board and I am in the process of getting my handgun licese and I was wondering if i could get some suggestions on what make/model/caliber handgun you guys would recommend for home defense.  Since I live in New York I really have no chance to get a CCW license.

Any help is grealty appreciated.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Choice
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 05:12:21 AM »
Jay - why do you say you have no chance to getting a ccw in NYS??  Most of the local judges here should be issuing ccws if there is no reason to deny.  You may have a local judge who favors the notion of 'target and hunting', or 'premises' rather than ccw but the truth is that a 'target and hunting' permit is a carry permit.  Also true is that if you follow the judge's concept and leave a pistol in your vehicle after a trip to the range or the field and it gets stolen while you have left it unattended, you are at fault, not the judge and that is cause for you to lose your permit.  Another thing I have experienced in talking with either local Police or Sheriff's Deputies is that (at least my local ones) feel that a permit to carry for any reason is a permit to carry and they do not differentiate.  Lastly, if you feel you should be legally licensed to carry concealed and your local licensing judge is still a buttsniff about those things, get your attorney to help you file for your permit.  It might cost you a couple of bucks but it should be worth it.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline JayLS1-327

Self-defense handgun
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 05:57:02 AM »
Mikey, thanks for the quick reply.

I should have worded my question better.  I really don't need a CCW permit, I was looking at getting a handgun for "hunting/home defense".

Offline Lawdog

Self-defense handgun
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 08:36:58 AM »
Jay,

Welcome to Graybeard Outdoors.  The best forum for hunters/shooters on the net.  Now to your question.  There are a number of handguns that come to mind but before anyone can really recommend one, I need to know what type of hunting are you looking to do?  What game do you want to hunt?  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Choice
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 03:55:50 AM »
Jay:  Thanks for the clarification.  As I mentioned previously, some local licensing judges go 'librul' and restrict you to 'hunting and target' only when issuing a carry weapons permit, but others realize that to be an inappropriately restictive limitation for the law abiding citizenry and just issue you a ccw.  Interestingly enough, our local licensing judge, who is a firm advocate for 2nd Amendment rights and who issues ccws without restrictions on the use of the sidearm, is subjecting himself to the process of applying for a ccw.  I used to think that sitting judges could simply utilize their court powers to obtain a ccw but I was wrong - they have to go through the same process we do if they wish to carry legally.  

This particular judge is a cool headed fella who is puting himself through this process to better understand how the process works and how it feels to have your entire life history laid out for some bureacrat to review to determine if you are 'qualified' to own/carry a handgun.  He is one of those who feel that if there is no cause to deny there should be no reason not to issue.  I have had the chance to speak with this judge a couple of times - most recently when I was drooling over a Cimarron Arms repro of an 1873 SAA in their Original Finish - and I let him keep my Cimarron Arms catalog because he seem really interested in those cowboy guns; he asked me about local activities, calibers, etc., and I think he has taken a liking to one of their nickle plated 45s with a 4&3/4" bbl.  

So, whether you intend to first purchase a hunting handgun for target and hunting, I hope you can deal with a local licensing judge who is as open as mine is, because later on Jay, you may wish to purchase something smaller you can carry and/or have your wife and children share with you.  Just my two cents.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

Self-defense handgun
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 09:09:22 AM »
Let's see------hunting and home defense. That eliminates the concealability factor. I think a DA revolver in 44mag might be just the ticket! You could use the 44mag load for hunting up to deer sized game and stoke it with 44spls for home defense. Both the S&W and Tarius revolvers would fill the bill.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Self-defense handgun
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 07:18:24 AM »
Why not buy two!!! :D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff