Author Topic: Powders for 35 Whelen  (Read 1237 times)

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Powders for 35 Whelen
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »
Received my custom 35 Whelen a day or so ago. Military Mauser 98 action, Pac-Nor stainless barrel, Bell-Carlson stock, Gentry 3-position safety, Leupold scope.

Haven't shot it yet as it is too cold at the moment where I live. I'm interested in what powders Whelen users use and why. Is there a "one best" powder for this caliber?

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Powders for 35 Whelen
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:27:18 AM »
Reloader 15 and Barnes TSX bullets.  Plain old Rem Corelocks work for deer 200gr. 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »
Sadly there is no "one best" for anything and the Whelen is gonna fit that mould as well. There are instead a group of "better choices" generally speaking for each round. That group size varies by cartridge and often in a given barrel you might find one that is best for you with the bullet you chose or in some cases with bullets you chose. Still vary the primer choice or bullet choice and most times the "best" changes to some different powder.

The closest I've seen to an exception to this rule (and as you might know most all rules do have exceptions) was the .358 JDJ which is not quite the same case capacity as the Whelen but is danged close. In it AA2520 proved both most accurate and to deliver more velocity with every bullet I tested. So I'd personally begin my quest with that powder. I had a Whelen for awhile but due to the problems I was having with my right shoulder never got around to shooting it before I decided to sell it. My shoulder thanked me but it was and really still is a round I want to work with.

If I do get another myself another I'll begin and might end with Nosler 225 grain PTs and ABs and AA2520.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 10:56:36 AM »
Bill as always, tells it to us straight and I agree with him. NO one's powder always works for any given caliber. BUT, sometimes there are ones that many agree is one for you to look at.

Two seasons ago, I was working on loads for my Whelen for a elk hunt. Just like Bill, I had long ago found that the AA2520 powder delivered the goods for my gun.

In working an a good bullet weight and profile, I decided on a Nosler Accubond 225gr and RL 15 powder. I found the powder to be well liked and highly recommended. It gave me almost as good accuracy as my 2520 loads but at a higher velocity. Buy a good enough amount to make me switch.

I suggest you try AA2520 and RL15

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »
CW, GB - thanks

I, too, am using the cold weather and layoff time to work up loads for my 35Whelen. Mine is a Rem700 take-off barrel and going to replace the 30-06 barrel on my Rem700 ADL from the mid-70's. I'm excited!

I do have a can of AA2230. My AA data indicates it's close to AA2520 in the heavier bullets (250gr).

I've been putting together IMR 4895 with Rem200gr RN in Lake City brass, borrowed from my '06. I also have some Hornady 250grRN Interlocks and a smattering of 35Caliber cast bullets from 146gr to 268gr and a lot of brass.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »
You can't go wrong with IMR 4350.  It works in a lot of stuff, and excels in others.
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 03:59:05 AM »
CW is right I forgot RL15 it too is always a good choice in this type round. Do not be fooled into thinking your AA2230 is a fair substitute for AA2520 in this application. It is NOT. It is one of my favorites in the .223 Remington but it is not for the Whelen. Get some AA2520 for that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »
CW is right I forgot RL15 it too is always a good choice in this type round. Do not be fooled into thinking your AA2230 is a fair substitute for AA2520 in this application. It is NOT. It is one of my favorites in the .223 Remington but it is not for the Whelen. Get some AA2520 for that.

GB- thanks! I was just going over the AA data sheets and with the 250gr AA2230 was almost dead even with the AA2520. Glad I posed the scenerio. Don't have a 223, never have since the M16 and SE Asia - left that all behind, too. So what besides the 223 is the AA2230 a worthy powder to be used for?

I'll continue with the IMR4895 to complete my fireforming, and then probably to RL15 from there. I like Alliant as much as anybody. I haven't used the AA powders much, actually not at all until now.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:52:38 AM »
For use in the .223 I do find AA2520, AA2230 and AA2460 to all be really close. In the .358 JDJ I did NOT find that to be the case tho. Why I can't answer but they weren't. In fact IMR4320 was the next best powder I was able to find and it was so far behind AA2520 as to really not even be close tho it did prove next best. Just my personal experience with the round I've worked with closest to the Whelen in case capacity and same bore size.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 12:21:50 PM »
Thanks to all who responded. Much appreciated. I've been reloading since I was in my thirties and I'm in my eighties now. I stuck that "one best" comment in just to stir the pot as I've known for decades there's no "one best" powder for anything.

However, all that said, if I can find it I'll go buy some AA 2520 and get started. The nearest to it that I have now is some H4895 that I bought thirty years ago for about a dollar a pound. I use it in a .222 Remington and a .22-250, maybe not the best powder for either, but good enough for the guy who has it. I'll probably burn some of it in the Whelen as well with the lighter bullets.

Thanks again.

calvon

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 12:25:57 PM »
I use H4895,Imr 4064 and to a small degree Imr 3031 in my 35 Whelan AI. All work great.