Author Topic: Pyrotecnic displays  (Read 566 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Pyrotecnic displays
« on: January 17, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
After a post about using mortars to launch pyrotechnics and DD expressing interest in the subject
and the thought of having a section possibly dedicated to this area I pm'd him the following he has asked
me to post this on the board. It may not be a bad idea to have a sticky with this as a warning to those who may
wish to dabble in this area and the reasons as to why we really don't need to be delving into this area as
it can bring more regulation on our hobby.

DD,

In my younger days (20+ years ago) I played around with this stuff, we can thank 9-11 and the boy's
who play with the 37mm launchers more rules being placed on air bursts, ATFE has rulings as to how much
explosive mix can be expelled from a launcher anything above that it becomes a DD,  I have included a web site
that explains some of it. The issue of having a forum on the subject becomes complex when you consider
that what may be legal in one state will get you a stay at the greybar hotel in another. I would say it is an
area best left alone.

http://37mm.com/book/export/html/5

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Pyrotecnic displays
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »
www.passfire.com   is the place if you want to learn about pyrotechnics.  There is a one week free trial so you can decide if its worth the price to join.  Lots of interesting things there, but the focus is serious fireworks.
Bob

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 03:52:23 PM »
Here's what I put in the other post that Bob and Allen were concerned about.

Pyrotechnics is not part of the this forum.  Neither Tim nor I have the technical knowledge or the legal expertise to moderate such discussions.  Lets say that a little simpler...we don't know enough to keep you from blowing yourself up or to keep you from getting arrested. We also don't do bail. There for pyrotechnics discussions are off limits in this forum.

A bit of confession, the subject does interest me.  I would like to learn more.   

If the there was some one with the  technical knowledge and legal expertise who would be willing moderate a discussion forum on home built Pyrotechnics, please step forward. I will help you start the process to see if a forum can be started on GBO.   Better be what you say you are as the folks here have sharp knives and no mercy.

In the mean time no pyrotechnics disccusions here please.

And I know its spelled Pyrotechnics not Pyrotechniques. I changed it here.

I know this subject comes up quite often here, so there is an interest. If there is someone who has expertise in this field and would like to moderate such a forum, send me a PM I'll tell you what you have to to try and get a forum started.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
37mm.com is not very complete atm. If you want a better source of 37mm info, sign up for membership in Grog's 37mm web site (free, registration required)
   http://www.freewebs.com/grog/

For lots of pyro info of all sorts, as magill said, www.passfire.com (paid membership required) is THE place to go.

Both web sites talk extensively about legalities and safety.

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:22:26 PM »
There is a 37mm forum here on GBO.  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?board=251.0

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »
I saw the 37mm here. It was set up by the same guy who set up 37mm.com

Sadly, they are both sort of stagnant atm.

Grog's 37mm web site is very active.

Of great importance is the "For sale and trade" section (especially when looking for loading supplies), as well as the "Reloading Tips and Tricks" section.

There are launcher reviews as well. No sense in spending your own money when you can have someone else risk his first ;-)

And, of course, there is the "Legalities" section. Fun is good. Jail is bad.

There is some occasional discussion of 26.5 mm launchers as well.

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »
Rick, it's people like you that kept this forum from stagnating, maybe you can do that over the also.