Author Topic: SKS Gunsmith?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
SKS Gunsmith?
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »
Can't seem to find a gunsmith that works on the SKS. 

Interested in re-barreling with a 16.5" Stainless steel barrel.

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SKS Gunsmith?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:52:41 AM »
Who made the barrel you want installed?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline lgm270

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:00:41 AM »
I don't have a barrel. I have not been able to find any aftermarket barrels or very much else for the SKS.  Apparently no one really  gunsmiths them at all, except for add ons like recoil pads, IER scopes, etc.

I would like a shorter than 20" barrel on mine.

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 04:59:48 AM »

Well, you have kinda answered your own question.  Nobody makes the type of barrel you are interested in, so of course there are no smiths who do this type of work.

Why?

Because what you are talking about doing is taking a $150 rifle, and spending $400 on it, to end up with a $175 rifle.

Here is your best solution:  Trade your current SKS in for a para-trooper model, which has a much shorter barrel, then if perhaps you can remove that barrel, have it chrome plated (or other wonder metal), and then have it re-installed.

Just some thoughts.

Mannyrock

Offline S.S.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 03:08:16 PM »
One thing about an SKS is the more it is tinkered with
the less reliable it becomes.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:46:49 PM »
I would fix the barrel on an SKS.  The main reason I would just fix it is because the price of ammo for them is cheap compared to lots of other rifles.  I own an SKS and have mounted a scope.  Guy's told me it would be accurate out to about 100 yards.  I went to the range and sighted it in.  I was able to hit metal pigs at 200 yards consistently.  That was the first time I truly appreciated the gun.  Just because it's an SKS and it's not the newest 223 on the market, doesn't make it a bad gun.

If you have the money fix it.  If you don't fix the barrel, it will probalbly still be a good gun. 

hope this helps

buckshooter
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
It would probably be best to have a gun smith rework the original barrel, I have had it done to AKs and its around 125.00 to have the barrel shortened. My one AK has a 13.5 inch barrel (NFA gun).......

a4beltfed
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....