Author Topic: recoil pad  (Read 571 times)

Offline nononsense3

• Trade Count: (0)
recoil pad
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:33:56 AM »
I have a 20 GA SB1 and would like to install a recoil pad for my wife, preferably not a slip on but I don't know what will work.  any suggestions

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: recoil pad
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:44:53 PM »
See the FAQs and Help sticky, there are some recommended Limbsaver prefits and a link to Limbsaver's site for printing their templates, there are no prefits made for the wood stocks, even the pad for the 988 slug gun is hit or miss due to the way H&R has made their stocks, not exactly one size fits all.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Getting one that fits is futzy, most likely you will have to do some work. The quick & dirty way is still the slip-on. For more money you can get a leather one that laces or has a velcro flap. Still hard to beat the cheap slip-on for utility.
If you carry the stock around at a gun show without the buttplate on you might find somebody with a box of take-off pads and one that is pretty close.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »
I put a grind-to-fit on mine about 10 years ago and have been pretty happy with it. Not sure what brand it is, but it was relatively easy to install. Limbsaver makes a grind-to-fit.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
  Grind to fit is the only option unless length of pull doesn't matter.  I prefer a pull no longer than 13 inches, a woman or child might need even shorter. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:45:37 PM »
A grind to fit is your best choice as you can fit the stock exactly to your wife. It will look the base as well.

If recoil is also a factor, look at one of the better pads like a Limbsaver or Kick-eez or decellorotor from pachmauer.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.