Author Topic: SPOT Satellite Messenger  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
SPOT Satellite Messenger
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:14:27 AM »
For those of us, that get into the back country or even the plains of Montana where cell phone service is not available, there is another way to let either loved ones know that your okay, or a way to get help should you get lost or hurt while playing in the outdoors.  If you have fallen and can't get up, or even a hunting partner has gotten injured and can not be moved out it would be nice to know that at the push of a button your position is marked and can be located by responding medical helicopter, and or rescue personnel.

SPOT Satellite Messenger

Remember time is a factor in life threatening situations.

Offline UNFORGIVEN

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SPOT Satellite Messenger
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 02:05:13 PM »
That damn SPOT caused a serious s*&^ storm last week while we were hunting on the Idaho border,my buddy uses it to send out a message twice a day to keep the family clam while hes out in the hills,well SPOT headquaters in Texas sent out a RESCUE 1 message when he did the usual OK report accidently,the search and rescue in Libby was quardinating a rescue,F&G and Forest service were inroute before we were notified by friends that the crap storm was brewing thanx to SPOTs mistake,they made excuses saying they were changing service providers that day ect,ect,didnt even offer him a years free service,nothing.think twice before wasting your money,SPOT almost cost my buddy a bundle!

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »
Well better safe than sorry, and this is the first bad report that I have heard about SPOT Me.  Glad it all turned out okay though.

Offline Anduril

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »
 :) I don't think Baden-Powell had this Onstar for hikers in mind when he told the Boy Scouts to "Be Prepared" ;)

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 03:28:29 PM »
In California the rescue people have refered to these as Yuppy 911 devices, because they have gotten many a call out just because someone is cold, or hungry (order McDonalds maybe?) you get the picture.  But these truly are a life saving device now priced at $99.00 and because there are some areas that I get into, that cell phone coverage will not get out of, I am getting one of these.

This is based on experience of my area, where my hunting partner and I go.  We came out of this area a couple of weekends ago, and there were 7 text message from my wife.... "Are you okay?"  "I haven't heard from you" and so on.  When I finally called her, I explained that if I don't have cell service I can't just travel the 50 miles back to where I do, just to check messages and so on.

So SPOT has a button that allows you to send a text message to who ever you have put on the list, and then they can actually check Google Live Earth to pin point your location.

Its a safety device, that could save your life or that of some other hunter.

Keep your buttons protected from getting accidently bumped, and there will not be any accidental pushing of the 911 button sending out a false alarm.

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »
I say, this is better to have, than not to have.

http://www.findmespot.com/holiday

Someone could buy a very expensive vehicle and it could be the best one made on earth.  But one mistake, one problem and someone will scream its a peice of crap.  If you don't want to buy one of these, then don't but this is the best rescue tool out there when minutes and seconds do count and your out of cell phone range coverage.

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 08:12:27 AM »
My wife said she loves me, as she gave me one for Christmas  ;D