Author Topic: AR pricing?  (Read 533 times)

Offline little bill

• Trade Count: (0)
AR pricing?
« on: January 17, 2010, 09:09:20 AM »
Don't get me wrong! I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I would just like to know why these rifles a so expensive?
The receivers are mostly castings with minor machining, small parts are large majority investment cast, stocks are molded plastics. The barrels are really the most significant part.
Perhaps It is me but a quality bolt action in the 1200 dollar price range displays more work and craftsmanship for the money than any AR.

Offline INresponse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: AR pricing?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »
Comparing the cost of an AR to  the cost of a bolt action rifle is like comparing apples and rabbits.   The AR is very popular at this point in time and because so many people are purchasing them and their aftermarket upgrades the prices of everything AR is up.  There are some bolt action rifles that are high quality and very accurate, but if millions of people are not buying them up their prices are not going to rise as much.
Police Officers support the 2nd Amendment!
-Retired-

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »
I think the main reason the prices are up is simply because we have an anti-gun president. A couple years back the price of an AR was comparable to most popular bolt actions on the market. I also think that 2 years ago many people never really thought much about these rifles. With people out panic buying and the fear of gun bans looming prices have almost doubled. Lately I have seen more rifles on the shelves and prices begin to come down some.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »
I guess i allways asked just the oposite question. why should a bolt gun that is obviously easier to produce because there are much fewer parts more expensive or just as expensive as a lever gun or semi auto. Im sure putting together an ar is more labor intensive then a bolt gun and a lever gun has got to be even more labor intesive.
blue lives matter

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:26:35 PM »
 Many years ago, an original Colt SP-1 could be purchased at Wal-Mart in my home town for $325 bucks.  Problem is most everything else was at least 100 bucks less!   Supply and demand do add to the price, also there are a whole bunch of parts in one of the darn things that help jack the price up.  What amazes me is that no-name brands with lower resale value cost close to the same price as top tier rifles, Colts being the exception-they've always been higher priced.