Author Topic: .223 primer stikes off center  (Read 516 times)

Offline tpic402

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 primer stikes off center
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
I have a .223 handi using cci primers in lake city brass fully prepped crimp removed,primer pocket uniformed I am getting primer indents off center and won,t ignite sometimes, If you rotate case in chamber the primer hits in a different position confirming the off center , If I take cartridge and insert into another gun(savage) it fires fine with center hit. Send it back for service? should be under warranty, tried slamming gun shut no help tried with forend renoved no help ???

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: .223 primer stikes off center
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »
Off center can be any direction 1 to 12 by the clock, which do you have?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »
How far off center I have seen some rifles that where pretty bad but would still fire. Got any pics of it. Probably a combination of off center and light firing pin strikes. Also make sure you are not setting the shoulder back to much when resizing. Shoot some factory 223 for reference if it still had issues then yes talk to H&R.

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 03:22:50 PM »
I have two 223 barrels. One hits dead center and one hits off center. Both shoot excellent with no miss fires. I reload and I am using Federal Primers

Offline tpic402

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »
The firing pin strikes in the eleven o'clock position having trouble getting pictures hard to get detail.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »
Off center strikes aren't usually a big deal, my 444 has a way off center pin strike and it one of the most accurate H&Rs I have. I'd look at the Handi Basics 101 and make sure you're pulling the trigger properly particularly if the pin strikes are light, it could also be a weak hammer spring or too much headspace, lots of things I'd be concerned about before the off center pin strikes were of concern unless it's way out on the edge.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »
Mines off center too, even the other barrels it hit off a bit. But Tim said it, my trouble with miss fires was not working the trigger proper, after training myself to fully pull the trigger, the miss fires have gone away.
Now it's interesting to see an occasional horizontal string, indicating I need more work on trigger control. These handis are fun!  ;D After all those years with the trad ml's,, shooting's a challange again.
found elsewhere