Author Topic: 30 mm vs 1" tubes  (Read 681 times)

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
30 mm vs 1" tubes
« on: January 18, 2010, 04:38:36 AM »

I am strictly a hunter.  The only paper targets I shoot are to sight-in and to determine point of impact and performance at various ranges out to 300 yards.  I have used 1" tube scopes for hunting and have been satisfied for 50 + years.

Is there any reason to consider a 30mm tube scope?  If so what are the advantages from a hunting perspective.

Thanks for your replies.

Silvertp

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 30 mm vs 1" tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:57:16 AM »
In many cases the 30mm tubes have a larger field of view and a larger range of elevation.  The light transmission is usually the same as a 1" tube.  The manufacture's specifications will list these features.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »
like was said the biggest advantage is more adjustment in the windage and elevation but unless your shooting way out there it isnt nesssiary. Most makers claim better light transmition but in my opinion thats more of a question of how good the glass is then it is how big it is. the main disadvantage is weight.
blue lives matter

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:17:33 PM »
It does not affect ligh transmission at all.  Other than the extended windage and elevation ranges, they are said to be stronger and can handle recoil better.  I can't think of any other reason why anyone would have a 1-4 power scope with a 30mm tube like the luepold euro scopes.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »
Jim, I agree. Many of the 30mm tube 1x4 scopes still only have a  20mm objective lens and you can get that with a 1" tube.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 01:08:49 AM »
my tijicon 1x4x30 accupoint has a 24mm objective and i dont know if its glass quality or the fact its a 30mm but it picks up light in low light better then just about any scope in the rack and that includes my 3x9 nikon monarch and my 2.5x8 and 1.5x5 leupold varixIII
blue lives matter

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 04:14:14 AM »
Thanks for the discussion folks.  I appreciate what folks are saying about a 30mm tube having more strength...a larger diameter given same wall thickness should do that, and about having more horiz and vert adjustment.  To date Ive not seen a problem with my current 1" tubes in those regards.

Lloyd... your report on the light gathering abilities of the Trijicon is the second I have heard.  One of the night time predator hunters was claiming his 3 x 9 Trijicon w/illuminated reticule was the best he had ever used, and that was with a 1" tube.

Has me thinking that glass quality has more to do with seeing your target in limited light conditions than does the tube size.  

Im getting ready to scope out an AR I picked up the other day and want to get this tube size thingy sorted out before I shell out bucks for rings and a scope.  Just need to make sure I'm not missing something.

Silvertp

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »
For an ar i couldnt think of a bettter optic then a 1x4 trigicon. Its a true 1x so its about as fast as am aimpoint up close and in combat and gives you the option of cranking up to 4x for long shots. The only thing about them and this goes for any scope on an ar is there not as durable as something like an acog or aimpoint. If they could get the ruggedness of an acog built into the accupoint they wouldnt sell another acog! Speaking of which a 4 or 6 power acog makes a heck of a sight on an ar. I have one the marine versions and its low light performace is pretty amazing too.
blue lives matter

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 02:16:32 PM »
A 1x4 with a 24mm objectice lens gives you a 6mm exit pupil.That is an advantage in dim light over a 20mm objective. The Leupold 30mm tube 1x4 only has a 20mm objective lens. I see no advantage it really has over the 1" tube 1x4. Trijicon products seem well made so it could be the glass, engineering, and the objective size giving you a nice bright scope. I have a Trijicon Reflex sight on my .44 mag revolver.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »
Dave..its not all coming back to me yet.  I thought that the human eye/ pupil could only use up to a 5mm exit pupil?   Help me remember how that works, Im thinking its not as deeply stored in your retrieval system. 

Thanks

Silvertp

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 05:09:41 AM »
The maximum human exit pupil is 8 in complete darkness.  I believe what Dave was doing was dividing the 24mm obj by the max power of 4 giving the scope an exit pupil of 6 which gives it a slight advantage over the 20mm obj which has an exit pupil of 5.

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:30:42 AM »
Thanks Jim and Dave.  That is what I was looking for, helps a bunch.   

Ive always known about dividing the scopes objective diameter by magnification power to get a scope exit diameter but I couldn't remember what the human pupil diameter could reach.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:45:27 AM »
I was told the average guys is about 6 and an old fart with failing eyes like mine is about 4
blue lives matter