Author Topic: Lemon from Lemonade?  (Read 612 times)

Offline KeepTryin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lemon from Lemonade?
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
OK so I get interested in reloading and as far as I can ascertain no LR standard primers are available at this time in the US. I was hoping to reload for my 30/30 and 30/06. Not going to happen for the indefinite future it seems.  Any ideas? I'm seeing lots of pistol stuff around. Should I get a 9 (like one of those wacky HiPoint carbines) or maybe a type 92 and start learning about straightwall brass?

Maybe a Handi is some varmint caliber that takes SR primers (lots of those around)

I'm 'Tryin' to look on the bright side here.... ;D

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Lemon from Lemonade?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:40:27 AM »
I would keep looking for Large Rifle primers. I think we even got some new ones here in our Bush Alaska town so its not like they'll never be available. Don't know where you are located but if in the lower 48 I'd look into getting primers shipped to me from some of the big name suppliers - if that is still possible.

But heck get a handgun and go for it if you are really eager to start reloading. Get a good scale & measure if you are loading 9mm, small powder variations make more of a difference in these small high pressure rounds than they do in 30-30 or '06.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline KeepTryin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:30:24 AM »
The pressure thing in the small cases is interesting. More info, thanks. I'm basically venting/P.O.'d... I'm in NW Wisconsin. Rural. Was all over the big town of Eau Claire over the weekend, no LR's that I could find, anyway. No mail order sources that I am aware of have any. I thought the nuttyness was subsiding. I could put a backorder into Cabelas and after hazmat, get 1000 for a little over sixty bucks. I started getting interested in this because I'm not rich. (understatement, that) Pistols are pretty spendy. I still think a a Handi in .22-250 (don't know if they even make 'em, I know where to ask on here) might be kinda fun.

I just want to assemble some rounds and try 'em. Wah, wah, I know...

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 02:28:39 PM »
One of our local gun stores had LR and LP, but no SP. I suggest keep looking.

Offline KeepTryin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »
OK. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep uh..tryin to find some LR primers, dunno how that will work out. I think GB is on to something, they are going somewhere... I ordered some stuff from MidSouth this afternoon and as nice as the guy was taking my order, all he had were non-answers regarding availability of said item. Having money that isn't 'green enough' always sends me into a tizz. It happens a lot to me.

And Dand, I wasn't asking for more info on 9mm case pressures, it's just that that was info I hadn't heard before (I'm new at this) but it makes sense and I'm 'tryin' to learn as much as I can,Thanks.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »
Keep:  Since I knew you are new to reloading I thought I'd add that tid-bit regarding 9mm and other small hi intensity cartridges just to encourage caution.

I have a friend in LaCrosse, I should ask him if he knows where some primers are.

It sure would be nice to shake off this craziness and get back to some sort of normal market on reloading components.  But I figure if primers can make it to remote Alaska they should show up in America too - tho you have more competition. We don't have lots of reloaders here but we have a few. We even have a shipment of Alliant powders on the shelf. 2400, Unique a few IMR (4198, 4064). Trying to talk myself into buying a big jug of the Unique while its here. Sure hard to face these new prices tho.  The pound cans are about $39 I think. I bought 2 pounds of AA 1680 3 weeks ago.

Hang in there.  Reloading is very enjoyable. Better get back to my bench in fact.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:58:07 AM »
I'd keep looking. Our local shop got an order in recently so they're out there somewhere. Also check around town and see if there are any other loaders. If there are they might have a source unknown to you.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 03:02:35 AM »
One of our local shops just got in a shipment.
He had several bricks of Federal & CCI LR, LP, standard & magnum, he even got a few CCI bench rest primers.
They are out there and they are slowly making their way to the dealers shelves.
The problem is still the same as it was.
No one wants to get caught low on stock again so they are still grabbing all they can at outrageous prices.
IIRC he was getting around forty couple $ a brick.
The bench rest were a couple of $ higher.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
Just hang in there, we're starting to see them on the shelves here in Mississippi, and we're usually the last to get anything!

In a pinch, you can use Large Pistol primers for some plinking loads (ie, the lower velocity loads, using powder that's easier to light).  I use Large Pistol in my 30-30 Contender rounds all the time because they are easier to "crack" than large rifle primers.  Believe it or not, I believe that I get better accuracy using Large Pistol primers.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »
Sinclair has them in stock (as of 7:30 PM Pacific time).

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/12731/Large-Rifle-Primers
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline KeepTryin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »
I checked Powder Valley on a whim late the other night and they had them briefly. I should have a thousand here by the 25th!

Sorry I was being whiny there... :'(   and at my age. Sheesh.

Oh well now I can get down to putting some rounds together, looks like my posts will go back to silly questions about that instead of b***hing and moaning. Well, maybe some regarding the weather and the fact I can't get out on the range...

Thanks All
Tryin

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:24:05 PM »
Any mail order place has haz mat fees. Cabela's, or whatever. I see LR and LRM primers all the time. Find a Gander Mountain and buy 100 for $5. Reloading does not save $ until well after 1k rounds.

Offline KeepTryin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
Roger on the HazMat. I paid the stupid tax on these primers for sure. Figure my time and gas to drive anywhere 'built-up' like Eau Claire or Mpls/St.Paul and I've spent that easy, so I'm kinda screwed. (live out in the country) two local places within 25 miles, neither had any or an idea when they were getting them or in one case, even if they had any on order LOL. No one in Eau Claire last weekend had a clue. Of course they probably have some sitting there now, who knows.

Ah well, an old workmate from 20 years back emailed me a couple days ago and in the course of writing about what I've been up to said he had 'An old Lee press' (dunno what kind, I didn't ask) and was going to send it to me. So that was a plus.

But yeah, I hate overpaying for stuff. I just did. Yuk. Bad time to get interested in this stuff I guess.