Author Topic: corbin vs rce  (Read 1632 times)

Offline whisper

• Trade Count: (0)
corbin vs rce
« on: October 28, 2003, 03:20:52 AM »
hi. I'm thinking about buying a some swaging equipment for making bullets for the 510 whisper(actually it's based on another case but still the same thing) I don't know much about swaging(nothing) and I'm not even sure what kind of bullets to make.
I wrote a mail to corbin about vld bullets vs hollowpoint boat tail bullets.I have read in various places that they use vld bullets for subsonic bullets,but according to corbins it's not the nose shape of the bullet that is important but the base/tail in subsonic flight,so he suggests making rebated boattail hollowpoint bullets for best performance on animals. anybobody know anything about this and which type to choose to choose?
 I'm guessing corbins is the only firm making rebated swaging dies.?

apart from bulletshapes which companys dies would you recommend? the ones from rce looked cheaper(I have not checked this entirely,just looked around on their webpages). I don't think I will be buying  a press,just dies

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
corbin vs rce
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 03:58:00 AM »
whisper.

RCE is not cheaper, just less expensive.
I have equipment from boath companys, and they do the job.but the RCE I feel is a better tool and you dont have to be a engineer when you order tools and cross the T's and dot the i's from Richard.(RCE)
I use Daves press for loading my long Sharps cases or light work, it's good for that work.

Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
corbin vs rce
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 05:30:49 AM »
If the caliber is above .458, the small hand presses of Corbin Co can't handle the work, and if the .500+ caliber bullet is to be jacketed, the large 'H' die manual press may not be adequate either. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure that RCE's Walnut Hill series can handle jacketed bullets in this size range. Then, too, who makes jackets that large? Would you settle for lead only bullets with a BN of about 8? If so, recommend working with RCE on the details.  If not, you are looking at really great costs ($6000 minimum) for a swaging system. 8)

Offline whisper

corbin vs rce
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 05:44:35 AM »
thanks for the answers. right now I'm just looking around trying to see what is possible. and is the press really neccesary?it's not very difficult making something like that with a hydraulick jack. if this is good enough to make good bullets is something I do not know. but it seems fairly simple.

but if it is going to cost me something like 6000$ I think I'll just buy the bullets. they're really expensive here(I don't live in the us as you've probably guessed from my english allready),but you have to shoot a LOT to justify spending that kind of cash on a whole system

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
corbin vs rce
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 06:37:09 PM »
Hello Whisper, :D

Like in running a business it is location, location, and location, so it is with making a bullet propose, propose, and propose. What are you planning to do with this bullet, target shooting, metal silhouette shooting, or hunting? And where are you located?

Usually the trajectory of a subsonic bullet will do better with a 7-degree rebated boattail that is about ¾ of the bullet’s caliber, a nose shape of secant ogive, 3/4 power-law, and paraboloid, and a melpat diameter of between 0.10 to 0.15 of the bullet’s caliber. Now if you want to hunt with it that is another matter.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline whisper

corbin vs rce
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 11:57:14 PM »
hello Donna   :D
I'm thinking about a hunting bullet that will travel as good as possible thru the air,and able to perform on animals. and a different target bullet,still subsonic(paper targets).
thanks for the answers. I thought i recognized your picture so I had to check your profile to see if you were the maker of http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com/
 been reading your pages before,but obviously not good enough since I have to ask questions here. great pages and a lot of info.

I almost forgot,I live in Norway.it's not a problem to get 50 bmg bullets like a-max but they're expensive(like everything here)
 :cry:

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
corbin vs rce
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 08:55:24 AM »
Hello whisper,

I skoke to Richard Corbin of RCE Co. and this is what he suggested.
"There really aren't any hand presses that are suitable for this.
The MultiSwage hydraulic press would be my first choice followed by the
larger BenchMaster and the HydraSwage.  The MultiSwage will easily do .50 BMG and other similar bullets as well as make smaller slugs.  It can be used to reload .50 BMG and conventional ammo as well as extrude lead wire.  I have one in stock that isn't quite finished that I have on sale at $1,700.00.  Normally they are $2,150.00.  The MultiSwage is fine when jackets with a wall thickness of about .035" or less are used but if thicker jackets are wanted the bigger presses are better.

The MultiSwage uses the same dies as the Walnut Hill press.  The
BenchMaster and HydraSwage use a much larger die.

I would suggest getting the four die rebated BT set and adding a
flat base core seat die as well.  This way either type of bullet could be
made.  

I would suggest getting jackets from Butch Hairfield.  He makes a
thin .50 jacket that ought to be good considering the low velocity
loading.  His E-mail address is:  harrell.hairfield@ps.ge.com   It's a
little hard to reach him by phone but E-mail works.  Don't know if I
mentioned him to you or not but he is making jackets from .30 on up to 10 gauge in any length and in at least two wall thicknesses in each caliber. He probably will be making smaller calibers later on as well.  He makes a pretty good product but not quite the concentricity of the J4 jacket. But for 98% of the shooters out there his jackets are more than good enough."

On the jackets I concur with Richard, you need a thinner wall jacket for pistol velocities so that they can open up properly on game.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline whisper

corbin vs rce
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 10:39:02 AM »
thanks again :grin:
looks like this is going to cost quite a lot. or more correctly,the entry cost is quite high but once I get started it's allmost free since I can get lead for free and copper tubing as well.but anyway I'm still just looking at the options I have