Author Topic: Leupold Vari-XII  (Read 462 times)

Offline dross80

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold Vari-XII
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »
I'm considering buying a rifle that comes with an old Leupold Vari-XII 3x9 scope.  I don't know how old, but based on the rifle, it could be as much as forty years old.

Taking into account Leupold's CS, how much worth should I place on the scope.  I'd like to determine the real price of the rifle.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: Leupold Vari-XII
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:28:17 AM »
If its in good condition you could sell it for $150 or so
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »
An old Vari-XII has about the same light transmission and features as a new Rifleman or, at best a VX-I.  Those scopes sell new for between $200 and $220, so it's definitely not worth any more than that.

Jake

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
If you wish to sell it as stated you can likely get around $150 for it. Leupold will either fix it assuming anything is wrong with it and they have parts on hand to repair or they will replace it with a current model if not. You can't go wrong picking one up like that.

Around here a scope on a rifle generally adds at most $100 to the cost of it had it not had the scope. For some weird reason the dealers don't seem to care what the scope is. I've picked up a bunch in the past just to get the VX or Vari-X III scope on them and then put an elcheapo back on and got most times the same thing I paid in trade when I pick up something else at the store. The worst I've ever done is wind up with a $300-$400 scope for $100. Often I get them basically free.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!