Author Topic: Arizona  (Read 674 times)

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Arizona
« on: May 28, 2004, 04:56:41 AM »
:D I just got back from visiting relatives in Arizona. I didn't see any game. I saw a coyote in a trailer park. It sure was dry.
I visited with my brother in law near Pine and Strawberry. He said I could come out hunting any time and stay in one of his 3 cabins. Is there any thing in this area to hunt? I was thinking Coues deer or something. My brother in law hasn't hunted in 25 years.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Arizona
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 05:09:56 AM »
Over the counter tags for archery deer, turkey, bear and lion.  

Drawing for muzzleloader and centerfire tags for elk, deer, bear lion, turkey.

I hunt a bit to the west of there.  You can get some pretty good information about the different units by following this  link.
http://www.azgfd.com/h_f/hunting_units.shtml   I think your relatives cabins are in unit 22, but border on a few other units.

We are in a drought for a while now and it's pretty dry, but depending upon the rains this season things may green up a bit.

Offline azshooter

• Contributor
Re: Arizona
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 07:16:25 AM »
Quote from: freddogs
:D I just got back from visiting relatives in Arizona. I didn't see any game. I saw a coyote in a trailer park. It sure was dry.
I visited with my brother in law near Pine and Strawberry. He said I could come out hunting any time and stay in one of his 3 cabins. Is there any thing in this area to hunt? I was thinking Coues deer or something. My brother in law hasn't hunted in 25 years.

Is there anythnig to hunt?!!!! - Nope, Well - the World Record Safari Club International Elk came from Arizona as well as Mule Deer, Whitetail, Antelope, Javalena and Big Horn sheep.  Other than that nothing here to hunt :)  Your brother in law should have taken you 25 miles North up on the Rim and you would have probably seen more Elk than you could count.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Arizona
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 07:51:45 AM »
:D What's the weather like there during December-January? Do you need a 4x4 to get around?

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Arizona
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 08:05:41 AM »
Arizona weather is extremly dynamic.  There is no way to tell for sure, use this link http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Flagstaff/ to keep track of what is going on in the area you want hunt.  We are influenced by Pacific storms that move.

December and January can often be periods of really nice weather, but depending upon the elevation you can expect rain, snow and mud, or things could be hard, dry and warm.

4x4 vehicles or quads are pretty much necessary to get past rough spots, depending upon the area you are hunting in.

If you are into bow hunting, there is an OTC deer season in some units during the last half of December and through the entire month of January.

Offline AZ Dan

Arizona
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 05:57:09 PM »
When I drive up to Flagstaff from Phoenix, I feel like I am driving into Minnesota.  I don't think Flagstaff gets the sub zero weather.  Dan.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Arizona
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 06:26:42 PM »
It does at times Dan.