Author Topic: Cannonmn getting press on preserving Navy Yard cannon  (Read 705 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Cannonmn getting press on preserving Navy Yard cannon
« on: January 22, 2010, 03:03:17 AM »
Well there is an article in the Artillerymen about John's efforts with the Navy to preserve the cannon

in their possession lets hope as more is written about this something will come of it.

http://springfieldarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/navyguns_artillerymanvol31no1.pdf
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.lioby.com
Re: Cannonmn getting press on preserving Nayvy Yard cannon
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »
Yup, I read the issue... pretty cool. If that don't embarrass the "dudes", I don't know what will.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »
Only problem is that government big wigs probably don't read The Artilleryman.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »
Only problem is that government big wigs probably don't read The Artilleryman.

Yes but anyone emailing their representatives can include the above link for them to read.........
  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline tesavis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:22:07 AM »
The one thing I would debate from the article is that acid rain is caused by Coal burning plants.

The fact is distilled water is acidic.

As soon as pure water comes in contact with CO2 it becomes acidic, carbonic acid forms. Try it yourself. Get some Ph paper and measure distilled water.

Rain is distilled water. Not to say other factors may be in play, but just like man made global warming is questionable so is the origin of acid rain.

Be careful always of junk science, as Ronald Regan famously said "Trust but Verify".

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:33:57 AM »
I would think there are many things contributing to the so called acid rain issue that said

I do not believe villafying an industry that is needed to produce our power

helps the argument, the focus should be on the following:

1) the damage to each cannon

2) conservation/repair of each cannon

3) protecting from further enviromental damage which may include displaying indoors.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Cannonmn getting press on preserving Navy Yard cannon
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
Acid rain is actually a combination of carbonic and sulfuric acids (dilute) that form from the combustion products of coal in power plants and gasoline in local automobiles.  The question here is not about eliminating acid rain but eliminating the effects of acid rain on the exposed bronze cannons.  The latter is a relatively easy and inexpensive process and within the capabilities of the Navy Yard if they were to decide to do it.  Getting them to do it is the problem.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill