Author Topic: How many deer can you harvest in your state?  (Read 2223 times)

Offline z1

• Trade Count: (0)
How many deer can you harvest in your state?
« on: December 09, 2003, 01:48:51 PM »
In Georgia you can take 10 anterless deer and 2 with antlers.  One with antlers must have 4 points one one side that are one inch or longer.  That is what is on the license.

If memory serves, deer taken on Wildlife Management Area hunts do not count against the license.

Also, as I remember, the ones you bag with the pickup do not count against the license.  One dude that I know has bagged 3 this year with his Ford.

Deer and road kills are not unusual just outside and inside of I285, Atlanta's perimeter highway.  10-15 minutes from downtown.  Nearly hit one while driving my son's CRX.
Warriors must succeed when politicians fail.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
How many deer can you harvest in your state
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 02:50:58 PM »
One per calendar year here in Arizona.

Offline markc

Hmm
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 02:16:51 AM »
It seems that grand total for whitetail here in Tx is 5, and one or more  mule deer.  Need to take a look at my license.  Each county in the state can set more restrictive bag limits.  So even if the license has 5 tags, 2 buck and 3 doe, that doesn't mean that you can harvest all of them.  Depends on the county in which you hunt.   We have some 1 buck counties and then others which allow 2 buck and 3 doe.  
markc
markc

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 10:29:09 AM »
Here in Oklahoma the combined season bag limit is a total of 6 deer and may include no more than 3 bucks. :D
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline B_Koes

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 08:17:51 AM »
Generally about 1 per car...although I have a family member that took out 2 with 1 Surburban! :) :-D

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 06:45:44 PM »
Here in Alabam we can take 2 deer a day, no tags required, for a total of somewhere around 218 deer per season. However, I ain't never known anyone to pull it off yet. I do however know a few guys that have taken around 25 deer in one season with their bow.

Here with a bow we are allowed either 1 buck and 1 doe a day, or 2 does, but not 2 bucks in a single day. Even with a centerfire rifle in some counties we are allowed 2 deer a day the entire length of the season. They are allowing such liberal bag limits now, because in some parts of the state the population is getting way out of hand. Some areas have over 45 deer per square mile. :toast:
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 01:22:41 AM »
:-D Here in Pa we can only take one buck per year.We can take as many doe as we have a tag for.Usually most hunters get 2 doe tags although in special regulation areas the tags are unlimited.If a hunter holds a flintlock permit he can kill either a buck or doe with it in that season if he hasn't killed a buck yet.It gets confusing,but, what else is new! :?

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 03:04:42 AM »
I hunt in both Florida and Georgia, mainly in Georgia. The regs are very different, as are the herds.

Florida:  Two deer per day, bucks only no antler restrictions, from Thanksgiving through the end of February.  Antlerless for one week of the season, one antlerless and one antlered or two antlered.  BTW, our deer herd in Florida is beyond pathetic.  The state estimates that 140,000 deer are harvested a year with 110,000 being antlered, most 1 1/2 old.  It is either sex during bow season, but only one can be antlerless.  No antlerless harvest, except by special permit only, on WMA's.  Yeah I know, Florida is backwards.  Not only can we not vote correctly, but we can't manage game either.

Georgia:  12 deer per year, 10 antlerless and 2 antlered, one must have 4 points or more on one side.  Georgia has probably the best big bucks in the herd of any state in the south.  Not as many overall deer as Alabama (1.9 mil to 1.2 mil), but there is a much better buck to doe ratio and a ton of B&C and P&Y bucks.  Georgia is the model of how to manage a quality deer herd in the south.  I would imagine that if Bama could ever get their herd down to around 1-1.3 mil, that they would adopt similar regs.

Offline HoCoMDHunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 03:39:39 AM »
Maryland is divided into four different zones.  In the zone I hunt we can take unlimited does and up to two bucks per season (bow, ml and rifle).  We have to get two does before we take the second buck.
Doin' my best to keep up with Maryland's one handgun a month law.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 03:44:26 AM »
West Virginia: by county from two to nine.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline jhm

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 03:55:46 AM »
Arkansas STATEWIDE the season bag limit is 3 deer.  A season bag limit may contain 2 legal bucks and one doe.  Hunters must obey zone and WMA restrictions and may hunt in different zones and WMA so long as the statewide season bag limit is not exceeded.  (taken from this years game book )  :D   JIM

Offline Power

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.powerandfury.com/hunt.html
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 05:21:17 AM »
1 buck w/ 3 points on one side minimum per year in WA state. Special permits allow for does. Some GMU's allow for any whitetail buck (we have both in many areas). In any case you are allowed no more than 1 deer per year (exceptions are special damage hunts).
-Power

Offline IATRKYHNTR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2003, 05:51:31 AM »
Almost unlimited this year in IOWA, normal year it is 2 bucks, one bow and one for a firearms season, and 3 does for any of the regular seasons, (bow, early muzzy, shotgun 1 or 2, and late muzzy) The you can get 3 more doe tags for the special late doe season. BUT this year you can but as many late season doe tags, until the quota is full. So on a normal year, 8 deer, two of which can be Bucks.

IATRKYHNTR
Nathan
The west wasn't won with a registered gun!!

Offline Myk

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2003, 08:26:24 AM »
Illinois Resident bow tags are over the counter. You get one either sex and one antlerless. They are available until you can't find any more stores that have them.
You can try for a firearms permit or a muzzleloader permit in a random draw (almost guaranteed to get one, very possible to get two in some counties). But you can't apply for both seasons in the draw. After the random draws are over you can buy the left over tags no matter which season for what ever county they are available in.
I'm not sure about the special population control pistol hunts, I think anyone can apply for those no matter what permits you've already applied for.
Only 2 bucks per season no matter what the method or the permits you hold.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2003, 09:26:01 AM »
:D In Wisconsin I bought a patron's license. You get an archery any deer tag and a gun buck tag.They threw in 2 T-zone tags  which are good for antlerless deer in specific areas in archery,gun or special t-zone season. You can also buy left over doe tags in some areas. They limit you to buying 2 leftover tags a day. I had 6 tags this year and filled 3, I can still archery hunt but I have enough deer.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 03:12:48 AM »
Here in MN. the most one personcan take is 5 deer( with mangement or harvest permits). The general tag is for 1 buck ( unless, applied and received doe permit ). Archery is 1 deer either sex, with management or harvest permits available. Muzzleloader is either sex, with M/H permits available. The all-season license is 1 buck regular firearms ( unless doe permit ) and 1 doe with either Archery or ML, with M/H permits available.
  The state has 4 zones, and 350+ areas. While these are constant, their management varies from one year to the next. Zones 1&2 are centerfire rifle, 3&4 slug (handguns may be used state wide, during firearms season). ML and Archery are state wide.
  Personally, I like the All-Season setup. It gives me more flexiblity and time in the field.

Offline grrdt

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2004, 07:27:12 AM »
in wisconsin ,because they want to get rid of deer with CWD you can shoot as many does as you want :lol: . but for every buck you shoot you have to shoot a doe first :evil: . thiat is realy anoying

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 08:09:34 AM »
Here in New York, you can take 3, 4 if you get a Deer Mgt Permit (doe), 5 if you draw a permit for the Southern Tier!

Without any special tags/permits you can take 3!

1 during Bow Season (Northern Zone, either sex)
1 during Muzzle Loader Season (Northern Zone, sex depends on GMU)
1 during Regular Rifle Season (Northern Zone, Buck)

If you happen to have a tag left over from last year, you can hunt during the Early Bow Season (last 4 days of September)!  
In that case you could actually take 6 deer during the hunting season!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 09:05:22 AM »
Just like to add one thing Dutch/AL left out on deer in Bama.All is correct,except on National Forest Land.You cannot take a doe with gun or bow,even if it's in a county that "hunter's choice" is in effect at that time.                             Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »
Rick, there are a lot more special restrictions than the one you mentioned on National Forest Land. I didn't make a list of those, simply because there are so many, and they affect the minority, instead of the majority.

My lease in Lowndes County for instance restricts each member to 4 bucks of which each must be 8 point or better with at least a 16 inch inside spread.

Another example would be on National Wildlife Refuges, only 1 deer per day is allowed with bow and arrow even though the statewide general regulation is 2 per day.

In general, the average Alabama deer hunter can legally take 218 deer per season with no tags required, barring special regulations and restrictions of specific hunting areas.
 :-)
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.