Author Topic: Turkey hunting  (Read 1382 times)

Offline haleconst

• Trade Count: (5)
Turkey hunting
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:39:50 AM »
We made the turn toward turkey season come on April  ;D
"Death is certain and the end is always near".
www.fishcandies.com prostaff

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: Turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:35:50 AM »
Won't get here to early for me.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 07:24:53 AM »
Towards the end of May for me in Wisconsin - if I get drawn for a Spring Turkey Tag. And that's a big IF.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:18:46 AM »
Towards the end of May for me in Wisconsin - if I get drawn for a Spring Turkey Tag. And that's a big IF.

Turkey tag? What the heck is that? Down here I think you're allowed either five or six a season. I've not gone chasing them in so long I forget if it's five or six but ain't no tagging and no real way to keep up with how many someone kills so I'm sure some serious turkey hunters take more.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Skunk

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »
GB,

Alabama is like the heart of Turkey hunting in America. ;) I wish it were that simple here. In Wisconsin you have to apply for a Spring permit by Dec. 10th of the previous year. Then there are only a limited number of permits available and a larger number of hunters that apply for them. The odds of being drawn for a Spring permit is way better than the odds of drawing a Bear tag, but still there will be a great number of hunters who will be denied in certain zones. I might have pretty good luck being drawn for the zone in which I applied since it is probably one of the least productive areas in the state for harvesting a Turkey. Which reminds me. During the Spring hunt, you can harvest only one Tom or one of the rare bearded females if you happen to see one. In the Fall hunt, you can still harvest only one, but it can be either a male or female. If I recall correctly, you also get only 5 days of hunting with your permit in either season. Odds do seem to be against a Turkey hunter up here.
Mike

Offline haleconst

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 03:51:10 PM »
Skunk
Plan a trip to N.E. Okla in April and I will see if I can get you on a sly eastern around here.
David

Offline mrgd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Red River Ammo Company  Edmond, OK
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:28:45 PM »
The turkey hunting in oklahoma has really came a long way in the last 15-20 years.  My county is now a two tom couty.  I actually took advantage of thata couple of years ago and killed two in one shot.  it was self defense.  They were charging me ;-). 

Offline Skunk

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:39:05 PM »
Skunk
Plan a trip to N.E. Okla in April and I will see if I can get you on a sly eastern around here.
David

Wow Dave, that is a very kind, generous, and highly tempting offer, but I doubt I'd be able to get away. If I ever do get down Oklahoma way though, I'd appreciate being able to look you up for some turkey hunting advice.
Mike

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »
The turkey hunting in oklahoma has really came a long way in the last 15-20 years.  My county is now a two tom couty.  I actually took advantage of thata couple of years ago and killed two in one shot.  it was self defense.  They were charging me ;-). 

Did you remember to yell "They're comin' right for us!"?

Offline haleconst

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 02:50:51 AM »

Wow Dave, that is a very kind, generous, and highly tempting offer, but I doubt I'd be able to get away. If I ever do get down Oklahoma way though, I'd appreciate being able to look you up for some turkey hunting advice.
[/quote]

No problem Skunk, if you ever get this way let me know.