Author Topic: 30-378 Weatherby  (Read 1280 times)

Offline TopGun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
30-378 Weatherby
« on: May 05, 2003, 03:44:44 PM »
Any have one? I've never reloaded a Weatheyby case. It sure looks funky. Anyone out there with some hands-on experience? I got it for 2 songs and a dance. Could'nt pass it up. I have some brass, powder and 180/200gr bullets. The published data is all over teh place. I do know teh throat is very long, so powder charges will be maxed to get teh pub'd velocity. I'd love some info! I'm a TC contender/Encore nut at heart. The only bolt rifles I shoot are a Win Mod70 223 and 2 Rem 700 HBV varmints in 308. I was facinated by this cartridge's history and the deal came up. Here I am.  BTW-Powders I have are 7878, IMR5010, AA 8700. All look very good.
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
30-378 Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 04:21:26 PM »
It'll do about what the 300 Ultramag will and maybe a little more. It'll also eat barrels at a pretty good rate and whack the heck out of your body. My advice is to not start at full throttle but maybe 90% and work up loads over a chronograph. Especially if it's a custom rifle and not a factory Weatherby. If it's got less than 28" of barrel I wouldn't try pushing those 200gr. much over 3300 fps. Don't worry, it'll be plenty. Enjoy!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline TopGun

• Avid Poster
NObade
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 04:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I have 180 Barnes XBT right now at 3475fps @15ft from the muzzle. I used loads of IMR7828 starting at 103gr and going up to 107. The 107 load is way over published max but there is still no sign of extraction or pressure. Factory loads/primers look more flattened with slight cupping. The cases mic the same. The rifles is one of Weatherby's first ones. It has a very long throat and the factory Accu-brake has recoil reduced to where it kicks less than my .308 bolt rifles shooting heavy loads.  My M77RSI will rattle your teeth. I shot 25rds of 30-378 in a tee-shirt and I didn't get a bruise. It is one of teh most enjoyable big guns I have to shoot. I can't do 25rds thru my Whelens from teh bench without a bunch of discomfort. These calibers were the reason I went the TC Contender/Encore Handgun route. The 30-378's roar is something to behold, and not for the faint of heart. I read on Hogdon's site that Retumbo or H50BMG will give even more velocity. I just don't want to lose my face in the process.  Thanks again.
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member

Offline dmachine

30-378 Weatherby
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 01:34:17 AM »
Hi, I to got a great deal on a 30-378. Mine is a Weatherby Mark V with a SS fluted barrel with muzzel brake, comp. stock, and it has a good trigger job as well. Mine kicks less than a .308 also, it sounds like a clap of thunder hitting the bench...... but it doesn't kick. I use 50 BMG powder because that is what the guy I got it from used, and he gave me 2 8lbs cans of it. (As well as 3 sets of dies, presses, 300 pcs. of brass, a case of primers, etc., etc.) And all for $500! I'm using 106, and 108 grn's of 50 BMG with a 200 grn bullet right now, with a 3.725 OAL. However, I to am looking for new load data, I want to know how low I can go with the 50 BMG powder. BTW, I was told the AA8700 powder eats up the brass faster, I don't really know why. I have a pound of it and may give it a try anyway. I only target shoot and the longest part of my range is 350 yards, so this thing is soooo over kill. Good luck with yours!