Author Topic: King's Improvement Patent?  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Cherokee Mike

• Trade Count: (0)
King's Improvement Patent?
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:37:18 AM »
I have a friend who owns a couple of old lever action Winchester rifles.  One in .44-40 caliber and another in .32-20 caliber.  In the description in mentions something like, "King's Improvement Patent."  What does this mean ???     

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: King's Improvement Patent?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 01:46:35 PM »
"King's Improvement Patent."

This was done in 1865 for the Model 1866 Winchester lever action rifle by a man named KING who worked for OLIVER F. WINCHESTER of WINCHESTER FIREARMS in NEW HAVEN CONNECTICUT at the time.
It refers to the loading gate on the side of the action as we are all familiar with on the model 94 Win levers which he was granted a patent for.
Prior to 1866 you loaded the old HENRY rifle from the muzzle end of the magazine by pushing the thumb slide all the way up and rotating the last several inches of the magazine tube to one side exposing the magazine opening.
Then you dropped the cartridges down the tube much like you would fill a 22 caliber repeater today if the magazine tube follower were removed.
With the KINGS IMPROVEMENT you simply pushed your cartridges in the loading gate on the side of the frame.

Your friends guns have to be either model 1873 or 1892.
The 44-40 or 44WCF and the 32-20 or 32WCF as they were stamped were not available until the MODEL 1873 lever rifle came out.
The models of 1866 and 1876 were no chambered in these rounds IIRC.
They were common in the models 1873 and 1892.

If you can give us the serial #s then I or someone else can give you the year of MFG and the total number of guns made that year.
Nice info to have.
If they are in decent shape then maybe a call to the CODY FIREARMS MUSEUM in CODY WYOMING to obtain factory letters on them would be in order.
These letters will tell you when the gun was made, when it left the factory, how many guns were in the shipment, where it was shipped to and any info as to special features on the gun if there were any.
A factory letter can add as much as 50% to the value of the gun in some cases.

I have factory letters on all my 1873s except one.
One of them was shipped to BROWNING BROTHERS in OGDEN UTAH (latter BROWNING SHOTGUN MFG) and was handled by JOHN BROWNING himself.
Now that's some history to go with a gun!
The last I heard it cost $100.00 to have a gun researched but can be well worth it if it has a story to tell.
Worth it anyway in my opinion.

LONGTOM

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Cherokee Mike

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:57:31 PM »
LONGTOM,

Thanks for the good information.  Both of my friend's rifles are Model 1873's.  I believe he told me they are both missing the dust covers.  I'll forward your information to him.   

It sounds like you have some fine rifles in your collection.  (If I ever stumble across a time machine, I'm gonna head back to the late 1800's and grab all the guns I can carry back.   

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 03:31:39 PM »
(If I ever stumble across a time machine, I'm gonna head back to the late 1800's and grab all the guns I can carry back).

If you do make darn sure you take me with you.
Someone has to watch your back!
Besides I want a case of original 44 HENRY double rimfire cartridges to fire in my 1865 nickle plated HENRY!
Man I would love to fire that thing just one time.
I don't care if the bullet just fell out the end of the barrel, just as long as it went bang.
To have shot an original HENRY would be a dream come true for me!!!   :) ;) ::)

The model 73s came standard with a round barrel but most people back then ordered the octagon barrel instead.
Just a throw back from the old MZ days.
There for the round barrels are rarer than the oct ones even though the round one is what was offered as standard.
Besides the otc barrels look a lot cooler.
There were three different types of dust covers used on the model 73s over the years.
Your friend needs to pick up a good WINCHESTER LEVER ACTION book or a copy of WINCHESTER by R.L.WILSON or a copy of THE WINCHESTER BOOK by MADIS
These are two must have references for any WINCHESTER OWNER & COLLECTOR.
There are many more out there but these are the best!
Both are out of print but they are always on EBAY or at the dun shows.

LONGTOM   
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07