Author Topic: Optic question for the AR15?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Optic question for the AR15?
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:24:41 AM »
Can you use a normal scope on a flat top AR15 with that big front site in the way? You know the kind of big front site that houses the gas block. Would you have to use real high rings to see over it? Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Optic question for the AR15?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:29:37 AM »
In a word Yes.
On low mag (standard 3-9X40 scope) you will see the sight in the optic but as you dial it up it will just be a black blur.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
Dale,

I have 2  PM066 - AR-15 / M16 Flat Top Picatinny Rail Aluminum Scope Risers.  I use high warne rings on one with a scope and the other has a holosight on it.  Easy to interchange the base with the scope to the base with the holosight.  Both hold zero well as long as you place the rail in the same slots on the AR everytime.  Remove the Promag base with the optic attached and you can go back to the standard peep sight attached straight to the rail on the gun.  Good luck.

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:18 AM »
most ar scope mounts are a 1/3 cowitness mount so the top of your post will be in the bottom third of your scope. Ive used 1x4s with them and the post is visible but easy to ignore.
blue lives matter

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:11:12 AM »
I have a burris 2-7x on my AR and on 2x or 7x I don't notice the front sight post.  My scope has the ballistic plex reticle that goes down lower into the view of the scope and I still don't notice the front sight post.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:02:32 AM »
I use a 1" riser block and medium rings.  I cant see any of my front sight at all through a 3-9x40 scope even though it looks like it does overlap some.  If you wanted to mount the scope closer to the barrel, you would probably have to use a gas block without a front sight on it.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:08:18 AM »
I use a 1" riser block and medium rings.  I cant see any of my front sight at all through a 3-9x40 scope even though it looks like it does overlap some.  If you wanted to mount the scope closer to the barrel, you would probably have to use a gas block without a front sight on it.
That is what I was thinking. Maybe if I end up get a upper that has that front site changing the gas block out at some point. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
I didnt even think about it when I put together my first AR, but the one I just put together has a quad-rail gas block and a YHM flip up front sight.  I can mount my optics straight to the flat top receiver, and I have the iron sights in case I ever have trouble with the scope.

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
I have two AR's with standard scopes and mounts. I can not see any of the front sight post on either. Mount what you would like and you will be GTG.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 05:31:26 AM »
I have a Millett DMS 1-4x on my Colt M4.  At 1x (0 magnification) I can see the front sight.  At 1.5x it is just a little blur at the bottom of the field of view and above that you can't see it at all.  The scope doesn't focus that close and basically "looks around" the front sight.  And no, mine does not co-witness at 1x like holographic sights will.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:01:53 AM »
3.5X10 Leupold Vari-X III, on 1" riser mounts. Cross hairs are same height as front post. No obstruction from front sight at all. Used to run a 2X7 Leupold Vari-X II on the same rig, and had on obstruction from front sight either.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »
Wife's M4 has a red dot scope and you can plainly see the front sight.  However it does not overlap the dot.  She actually says it helps her aim the gun.  Since she rarely allows me to shoot HER gun I have no opinion.
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:58:01 AM »
your right. that was a poor choise of words. The scope will not cowittness with a front sight. What i was refering to and did a poor job of saying was that the sight post will be in the bottom 1/3 of your scope picture below the crosshairs where it wont get in the way. quote author=jmayton link=topic=201560.msg1099053653#msg1099053653 date=1268667086]
I have a Millett DMS 1-4x on my Colt M4.  At 1x (0 magnification) I can see the front sight.  At 1.5x it is just a little blur at the bottom of the field of view and above that you can't see it at all.  The scope doesn't focus that close and basically "looks around" the front sight.  And no, mine does not co-witness at 1x like holographic sights will.

[/quote]
blue lives matter

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 05:32:11 AM »
No worries, Lloyd.  I've shot a couple of holographics that cowitness and it's interesting.  To me, there's just a lot going on with your sight picture in that situation.  I'd rather have a flip-up front sight to use as a back-up only.