Author Topic: New/old gun got some ???'s  (Read 1434 times)

Offline logo10

• Trade Count: (3)
New/old gun got some ???'s
« on: January 20, 2010, 04:00:15 PM »
I just got a A. Uberti New Derringer .38 special O/U. It's in really great condition as far as I can tell. Just wanted some info on it, if anyone has any. It says New derringer on the top, A. Uberti & Gardone V.T. Italy on the right side,Cal .38 special on the left side, and HH stamped in the left grip. I was just wondering what this might be worth and how many are out there?? Thanks!

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New/old gun got some ???'s
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:40:47 AM »
Nice looking piece.  I remember an article in a National Rifleman Mag about a guy that stopped a robbery at a barbershop with one.  Dropped both bad guys from under the barber cover.  Very close range stuff.  Hope you never have to use it, but there if you need it. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:37:57 PM »
The way prices have gone up lately, anything that shoots centerfire cartridges is worth at least $200, if it's in good condition.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Rutin2tin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • "No Gnuws is good Gnuws"~ Gary Gnu
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »
Welp, I wandered into a gun show during late October, only to help guide a newbie to some decent handguns..........He ended up with a pristine 1979 S&W model 19 - 6"bbl, and a new S&W 637 for His Mrs. (BTW, they love their revolvers....especially after some action work and spring changes)

I ran smack into a never fired 1968 S&W Model 17-2  6" bbl, and since have replaced the trigger and hammer with new (old stock) "target pieces", plus changed the trigger rebound and mainsprings, and did a general clean out of the "hardened" factory grease. I had to shave the "hand" a tad (where it engages the cylinder cogs), but she's now smooth as silk.  :)
Here it is after I cleaned it up and cycled the action a couple hundred times:
It is.....what it is...

Offline logo10

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »
and that has to do with my ? how??

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »
Logo
????????
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 12:46:05 AM »
Logo:  the value on that derringer is what you paid for it.  This is a copy of a Remington (?) derringer and was made by the Italian firm of Uberti and Gardone of Italy and is fairly new.  I have a Beretta pistol made by Gardone.  Uberti makes replicas of western revolvers, the 1873 Colts and the 1875 Remingtons, plus others. 

Your derringer is made of modern metals and should be capable of firing standard pressure 38 Special loads.  I would not load anything +P into it at all. 

I once had one similar to the one you show but it was made years and years ago, probably in the 1960s.  It would fire on only one chamber and if you shot anything beyond a standard pressure loading the action would pop open. 

Yours is probably a sturdier piece made of more modern metals and machining but if you intend to shoot it please limit your exposure to standard pressure loadings. 

I do not understand what the 'HH' refers to unless it means 'Hold Here', but I sorta doubt it...

As to how many are out there - probably more than we think.  Not too many folks recommend carrying a derringer as you have only two shots, not a lot of accuracy and a small grip that makes retention difficult.  They are 'belly guns' in the true sense of the word, or phrase, but although not a lot of us would recommend something like that for concealed carry, it is better than a brick and there are probably lots more folk carrying one of those than we think.  jmtcw.

Offline logo10

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 03:47:31 AM »
Thanks Mikey. Its not new, its been in my wife's grandmas gun cabinet since the 70's or before.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 06:20:13 AM »
Be very careful with that gun! Many made in that time period did not have a rebounding hammer. It'sPossible that the gun could fire on closing if the hammer is not brought to half cock prior to loading. I owned one back in the 70s. The blast and fireball was impressive, but couldn't hit the barn from inside with mine. I couldn't find the value of your gun in any of my references. As an old family piece, you'll likely want to keep it anyway. Hang on when you pull the trigger!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 03:14:34 PM »
Welp, I wandered into a gun show during late October, only to help guide a newbie to some decent handguns..........He ended up with a pristine 1979 S&W model 19 - 6"bbl, and a new S&W 637 for His Mrs. (BTW, they love their revolvers....especially after some action work and spring changes)

I ran smack into a never fired 1968 S&W Model 17-2  6" bbl, and since have replaced the trigger and hammer with new (old stock) "target pieces", plus changed the trigger rebound and mainsprings, and did a general clean out of the "hardened" factory grease. I had to shave the "hand" a tad (where it engages the cylinder cogs), but she's now smooth as silk.  :)
Here it is after I cleaned it up and cycled the action a couple hundred times:

OK

and that has to do with my ? how??
Yep

Hey I got no Idea what its worth  ::)
But it was well worth the read  ;D
Tommyt