Author Topic: Colt M-4 .22 Rimfire  (Read 455 times)

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Colt M-4 .22 Rimfire
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »
Bought this rifle back when they first came out.  Shot it a little, but today was the first time I really put some time into it.  Had a few jams in the first 100 or so rounds.  Backed out the action adjustment screw a little, and jams pretty much went away.  Maybe another 2 or 3 in 1000 rounds.  Trigger pull is crisp, but heavy.  Most controls, except bolt hold open / release and the forward assist are the same as the center fire version.  I mounted a Bushnell red dot sight on the carry handle, and so equipped, it shoots about 1 inch at 50 yards.  Not bad considering the trigger, and I bet it would do better with a 6X scope.  Those 30 round magazines are great - well made, and easy to load using the slider buttons on the sides of the magazine body.  Over all I like this rifle.  It's a fun plinker, and would make a good hunting gun as well for those who are used to the AR platform (Just not in PA - No semi's for hunting)  Amazing how fast you burn thru a brick of .22's though.  This gun, by the way, likes high velocity loads.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Colt M-4 .22 Rimfire
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 05:59:19 AM »
I just joined your group of 1.  ;D I swapped a 9mm pistol I never shot anymore for an M4 at the local gunshop yesterday. I didn't have time to go out and shoot it yesterday afternoon and it's so foggy, drizzly this morning I'm going to stay in the house. I am trying to make up my mind whether to put a scope on the carrying handle or remove the handle and mount the scope on the flat top receiver. I'm also thinking that a regular size scope will look kind of goofy on this short rifle. Right now I'm leaning toward a compact scope in 4 or 6 power mounted on the flat top rail. Decisions, decisions.

I dug around on some forums and read a couple of magazine articles about this rifle. Hi-V ammo seems to be the way to go and most everyone had good things to say about the rifle. I was kind of surprised about the ammo that shot best in it. I have a bunch of different brands of ammo from BO (before Obama) to play with and see what happens. I might post some results later on about what I learned.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 06:53:19 AM »
dont have a colt but my buddy has and its a good gun. I bought the smith and its probably the most fun gun in the house right now.
blue lives matter

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »
That's good to hear, Lloyd. I think I've solved my scope problem for the time being. I was going to rob a 4 power scope off another rifle for the awhile and was digging around in the safe that I keep spare parts in looking for tall rings. Lo and behold, I found a short 2.5 -5 power scope that I had forgot all about having. I didn't find any rings tall enough though so that means a trip to the gunshop tomorrow.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:24:36 PM »
Mounting a scope on the flat top is the way to go.  The handle top mount puts it pretty high, causing you to have to lift your cheek from the stock some.  OK with a red dot, not so good with a scope.  All my centerfire AR's are flat tops with optics, so I wanted to try something different, plus I like the ability to go right to iron sights as needed.  This gun does like HV loads.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....