Author Topic: Cast bullets in the SKS  (Read 933 times)

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cast bullets in the SKS
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »
I've been working on some cast bullets loads for my SKS rifles for a couple weeks using the Lee .312 160 gr.tumble lube gas check bullet.  I finally settled on 12.5 grs. of Alliant 2400 the MAX load in the 7.62 x 39 case would be 15.0 grs.  This load is very accurate in both my Chinese and Yugo SKS producing identical groups,no leading and cycles both rifles dropping the brass about 5' from my shooting position. 

The Yugo shoots flatter because of the longer barrel,in the standard Chinese SKS a rear sight leaf adjustment of 400 meters was required to hit the same point of aim with the cast bullet as the factory 123 gr. ball would at a 100 meter rear sight setting.  I used the same 400 meter setting on the Yugo and it shot high by several inches as the target shows,so 200 or 300 meter setting is probably going to be more appropriate for the Yugo.

The TL GC bullets were cast from straight WW alloy and water quenched,lubed once with Lee Alox that has been thinned with mineral spirits 1 oz. to the 4 oz, bottle of Alox and allowed to dry overnight,gas checks were then seated with a Lee .314 sizing die with no sizing applied to the bullet.  Then TL once more and allow to dry before loading.

5 shots 50 yds.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Re: Cast bullets in the SKS
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »
That looks usable to me, I have a mold to cast some for mine but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:48:26 AM »
I have a SKS question    Is it the barrel or the action or both,, that  makes a chinese SKS shoot poorly...?
 the case (7.62X39) make a nice cast bullet shooter ---  2000 FPS ---
I like shooting cast in my SKS -- but get a 3 1/2 in. patern at 50 feet..

If it is the barrel I could change  that --I see that a Chrome Lined  is $38
--used---if it fits--  Dan

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 06:56:45 PM »
Did someone say that the Chinese SKS shot poor?  Just yesterday, a friend called me and inquired about a Chinese SKS that some one left with him.  I have no experience with the SKS.  He was wondering if it is worthwhile keeping.  I don't know.

Res45, since you have two of them, fill me in on the accuracy with the Chinese.  I may be obtaining the SKS.  I'm a cast bullet shooter, too.

Harold Clark

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
Well I really don't see a problem with accuracy in the SKS rifles I have shot,even one's that I don't own and have shot that belong to friends.  Other than the condition of the rifle and bore the ammo you put in them has a lot to do with there accuracy,to me there just another rifle you have to tune your ammo to if you hand load to get the best from them.

The only modification I have made to the original rifles is replacing the front sight pin with a Techsight target post,cost me $12 for two shipped to the door.  I'm a firm believer when shooting iron sight that if you aim small you shoot small.  As far as a blank statement that any SKS is inaccurate,I would have to see the rifle in question,ammo being used in it and the ability of the person firing it. Just throwing lead downrange with the cheapest ammo of the day and never adjusting the sights properly it's no wounder you see so many claims of the SKS being inaccurate.

My two SKS rifles are just as prized to me as my Sav. 99 in 300 Sav.  I just don't see them a a cheap 30 cal. plinker or truck gun.  My Chinese shoots pretty much the same as my Yugo I can interchange loads between the two with no real noticeable affects other than POI,the Chinese tends to shot a bit lower with heavier bullets than the Yugo and slightly to the left with identical load fired in the Yugo but thats not a big deal once you get use to it's characteristics with various hand loads.  Here are my first test load one in 123 gr. SP and FMJ hand loaded and my most recent 5 shot group test loads using the identical cast bullet load I shot in the Yugo.  The cast bullet load fired in the Chinese was for accuracy test only and not for POI,I shoot all my test groups at 50 yds. because that all the room I have in the back yard.

Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 06:16:13 PM »
Mybe I gaveup to soon  ,,, that looks like good groups to me.  I'll try  2400...

I have the Lee 160 TL mold too... thank

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 03:12:53 AM »
lee1954 can you give some info on the bullet and load your using?  Alloy,weight,gas check,how your lubing,are you sizing it,if so to what dia. or shooting it as cast?  Also did you slug your bore and measure the groove to groove dia. of the slug.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
Well back in the '80s I got 8 lb if H108 for $35 -- Other then that... as cast  w/gc -- lee alox once befor gascheck -- use sizer only to seat GC -- not full bullet...
 also used 1680   -- I think both are surppus powder....

From what I've read,, I need to strip it down and do some triger work to keep up with you guys..

and some real powder.........

edit   -- my first post should read 3 1/2 in patern at 50 yards  not feet --- I'd like 2 inch pattern at 100 yards...

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:40:55 AM »
I use AA-1680 in my full house loads but have never tried it in a cast bullet load,in fact I'm completely out of 1680 now and will probably never buy anymore unless someone local starts carrying it.   Reloader #7 is pretty much my go to powder for the X39 for jacket bullet loads,it works with cast also.

I'm going to stick with the Alliant 2400 for cast loads in my SKS it takes so little and just works plus I can use it in my Mosin M44 and 357 mag also,as far as triggers both the triggers on my two SKS rifles are stock factory triggers.  
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
I belive that some SKS's shoot much better then others...But I'm sure mine could shot   better.....It looks like getting some 2400 is a big part...I have 4198  -----------------------------------when in and now have 2400 too..  Ive shot h110 ,4772 4759  all do about the same

My Son had a SKS that shot much better then mine -- someone offerd him way over the going price....he said now he wishes he'd  said no..

I was wondering if it was the bolt face  or the barrel -- but from what I'm reading, start with the trigger  ....none go farther..  My trigger pull is'nt bad .
thanks for the help ---should get some shooting in this weekend   dan

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
 Thanks   the 2400 powder is better in the SKS  -- I'll work a little more around  the 12.5g -- see if it gets better --- Shoot a few boxes of ammo to get the feel of the gun will help too..
I loaded some AA1680 to compare   and the 2400 was better (all with 160g TL / GC).... I think  2"  at 50 yards will be EZ  even in cold weather..
  I could try a second alox if you think that helps
                                                                   thanks again   Dan