Author Topic: Williams WRGS Sight For BC Carbine  (Read 409 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Williams WRGS Sight For BC Carbine
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:56:22 AM »
I kept going back and forth trying to decide which receiver sight I wanted for the BC Carbine. I settled on the WRGS sight because it's a bit less bulky and looks to be less prone to hunting damage than the FP sight. Once I decide on a load to use in this rifle, I'll figure out what height I'll need for the front sight. I'd like to add a firesight to the front end and from what I've been able to find, they are available anywhere from .250" up to .570". If even more height is needed I guess I'd have to add a .250" riser and then figure the additional height I would need for the front sight.
Tim had previously mentioned a problem that he has come across with the scope mount holes having thread locker in them and scope mount screws bottoming out in the threadlocker before they are really tightened down. While looking at reviews of the FP sight, I found this review which certainly reinforces Tim's comment.
"I installed the FP-H&R sight on my H&R Buffalo Classic, it appeared at first the screws were too long, after closer examination I determined that the mount holes in the barrel were half filled with thread locker, cleaned it out and the sight mounted up perfect with the included screws."

Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Williams WRGS Sight For BC Carbine
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
I agree 100% on the WGRS being better choice for a hunting sight, I haven't hunted with one on a Handi, but I've hunted with them on all of my muzzleloaders, scopes and any glass optics aren't legal here for muzzleloader seasons. :-\ I have one on one of my 45-70s and on the 44mag.... just shot paper tho.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Williams WRGS Sight For BC Carbine
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 03:32:18 AM »
I had a peep and a firesight on a 30-30.  A great hunting combination in the woods, but the firesight is sort of restrictive at long range, because the glowing bead covers the target.  A better combination for me and my old eyes is a peep and a post. I painted the post flat white.  Maybe tape the firesight to the front of the barrel and try it before deciding to install.