Author Topic: need help on choosing  (Read 545 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
need help on choosing
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
I purchased a remignton 700 vtr 24" (unported version) it has turned out to be quite a shooter (below .5 moa) I'm haveing trouble deciding what scope to go with. I have a nikon prostaf on it right now and it works fine for 100 yard stuff. I'd like to use it for longer range (out to 600 or better)along with varmint (woodchuck & coyote) and  deer hunting, only down fall I have is I'm on budget for $300-350 to spend so I'm slightly limited on selection, I'd like a mildot reticle and target turrets, the choices I have narrowed down are the nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 (has side paralex and hand turrets), Burris 4.5-14, and the mueller tac2 3.5-10 (I keep reading great reviews about it) If anyone has any suggestions by all means chime in. Though to let anyone know ahead of time anything bushnell will never be on one of my firearms I've just had such terrible luck with them in the past.  Thanks

Offline leather5to1

Re: need help on choosing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:56:43 AM »
I seriously like the mueller scopes for the money.  Between my grandfather and myself we have at least eleven of the eradicators (8.5 to 25 power), and two of the newer 32x I think they are 8x32x40.  These have a 30mm tube and seem a little heavy, but have the side focus which is nice.  Both models have great optics, and have proven themselves very repeatable. I have shot 5 shot .25 inch groups at 100 yards a couple of times with different guns with the eradicators and 5 shot 1.25 inch groups at 300 yards. Only the .204 will do that all the time. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:01:01 AM »
The Bushnell 3200 & 4200 are amazing glass but of those listed I'd go with the Nikon.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 02:55:54 AM »
If you shop around on ebay, you should be able to pick up a nikon monarch 4-16x42 in your price range.  There are several out there right now that have 13 hrs left that are sitting around $300.  At least one of them is a mildot.

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 04:59:38 AM »
Get the Nikon.  I've got that same model in 6-18x40 with side focus and turrets on my 223.  It's a great scope.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 05:07:16 AM »
I agree with all of the above posts.  I'd also recommend a scope with an upper power of 16x or greater.  I have 2 leupold VX-IIs in 6.5x18 with varmint or varmint dot rets on each of my 223s, an AR HBAR Natl Match and a Rem700 LT Varmint.  They are just about perfect for varmint and target work.  The Nikon/Bushnell/Mueller would all be great choices.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »
I think it would be hard to beat the Mueller in your price range.
I have 2 and they good so far.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.