Author Topic: Anybody loaded the new Hornady FTX 160 bullets from the 30-30 Leverloution ammo?  (Read 695 times)

Offline koger

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Avid Poster
I have a box of theser on the way, going to see what I can get them to do. The vel. in theHornady load data seems pretty mundane, will see how they work. Some of my buddies have had great succes with this factory 30-30 load, I have used the 45/70  325 gr. FTX to take 3 deer in one evening on a cull hunt here in KY, wicked bad to say the least. All  feedback is appreciated.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
I loaded up some last year and shot a med doe with one this past season. Worked well enough, if anything it over expanded. but thru and thru penetration and venison in the freezer so I cannot complain.

My load is a stiff one of WW748 powder with a CCI 200 primer. I have loaded this load for almost 30 years, its now listed as above maximum, but has proven as safe today as it was when it was BELOW max back in the early 80's.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
A friend of mine just bought some of these. He wanted to carry it hog hunting, so we decided to put them through our penetration test. (2 1/2 gallon water jugs) The bullet barely made it into the 2nd jug at 50 yds. and the core completly seperated from the the jacket. I told him that he needed to find a better bullet for hogs. Probably be fine for deer.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
Buddy of mine tried them in his 336 Marlin.  Couldn't get them to group.  Tried to sell them to me.  HA!

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Got a good deal on 100 Hornady made, and 500 bullets to load.

Ive not shot any of the store bought. Ive be loading them using 33gr of Ball C lot 2.
Can do a 4 inch group at 100 yards. To me thats not good enough. Im currently loading up some with reloader 7.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
I didn't comment of accuracy.. It was outstanding!! Even better than my long standing best load using the Hornady 170SP bullets.

Like I said, it did seem that it wasn't a "tough" bullet. Probably good advice to look for a tougher bullet for hogs. DEFINITELY look more if your shooting big hogs!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.