Author Topic: Exotics surviving in cold Ohio  (Read 1793 times)

Offline huntfamily5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The pursuit of happiness is your responsibility
Exotics surviving in cold Ohio
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
Hello, I own a ranch about 40 miles west of Pittsburgh, Pa (http://www.hunthavensranch.com) and would like to fence part of it to raise a few exotics.  I have water, fencing and shelter taken care of.  Additionally, I will supplement feed my exotics.  However, I am concerned about the animals surviving in the cold Ohio winters.  I know I will be fine with most exoctic sheep such as the painted desert sheep.  However, I would love to do something like black buck antelope.  Does anyone have any suggestions on which eotics will survive and thrive in my area.  Regards.

CDR Travis Hunt

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Exotics surviving in cold Ohio
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »
Howdy!

Owning a hunting ranch is my dream!  Good for you!

I was talking to the fellow who owns Powderhorn Preserve in PA.  He told me that he has quite a few warm weather exotics like axis that do quite well in the cold.  I'd give him a call and ask him...he was very nice, but, it's been a few years and I don't remember his name.

GL!!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:32:02 PM »
There is or was an exotic ranch in Ohio some years back. Danged if I can recall the name tho. I think but am not sure they offered a pretty full selection of animals.

Wild Hill in Fairlee, VT http://huntwildhill.com/ offers all sorts of exotics and I can't imagine your conditions being worse than theirs. Why not call them up and discuss with them your plans and ask them what if any they have found to not take so well to the cold winters. I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss it on your dime.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
Hey Guys!

Wild Hill is my stomp'n grounds.  They have Boars, Elk, Red Deer, Fallow, bison, various and mundane corsican sheep and spanish goats, the odd water buff or two left over from the spring and maybe an exotic like black buck also left over from spring.  He has resident herds of elk, bison, fallow, red deer and some sheep and goats and brings the rest in.

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply.... drdougrx, I looked at your picture page.... very nice trophy room.  Are you a doc or just have dr in your name?  I am an epidemologist by trait.  

My ranch is 60 acres and we are full or free range deer and turkey.  However, I want to bring in something exotic to live full time.  I know many of the game ranches will buy their exotics hunter specific.  Additionally, they have a huge exotic animal auction house in Ohio (Mount Hope auciton) that has two auctions per year.  The will sell Texas exocitcs, sheep, goats and even african game.  

Does anyone have specifics as to the cold weather survivability of black buck?  Thanks.

Travis Hunt
http://www.hhunthavensranch.com

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »
Link doesn't work even after adding a period after www. ya must have soemthing else wrong in it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 02:59:24 AM »

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:48:01 AM »
Hi Travis,

The DR in my name is really PhD in Health Policy and Law, my specialty is administrative law and policy that concerns FDA, drug approval, drug safety and pharmacy practice law (I'm also a pharmacist).

Anyway, as I mentioned before, the fellow who owns Powderhorn http://www.powderhornhunting.com/ had axis all year round and told me that it takes a few generations to acclimante to the cold and you have to start them in the spring and really keep an eye on them till they take.  I suppose you could try a few blackbuck and see what happens. I'd have a warm barn available though for the 1st winter.

Here's a better suggestion....I'm good friends with Ken Wilson who makes Sportsmen-on-Film videos, offers exotic hunts AND has great connections in TX for animals (I've set some northern preserves up with animals through Ken in the past).  He's a very nice guy who I'm hoping to hunt with next summer...why don't you contact him (give him my regards) and ask...see what he tells you and let us know as well!

Sportsmen On Film
Ken Wilson
231 Earl Garrett, Suite 300 • Kerrville, Texas 78028
Phone: 800-910-HUNT
or
830-792-4200
Fax: 830-792-4224
Email: kwilson@sportsmenonfilm.com

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:26:55 AM »
Hi DR. Your professional experience is similar to mine.  I am a Commissioned Officer with the US Public Health Service.  In this capacity I work on a daily basis for the FDA.  I am an investigator specializing in biologics, human reporioductive tissue and and food.  However, I have been know to spend too much time in a few drug and API facilities.  I have a MPH and am pondering my PhD. 

I am going to be on assignment in Dallas throughout April will be looking to bring my AR15 or bow on an exotic hunt in Norther Texas.  I also have a buddy that has a parcel of land in the hill country adjacent to the YO.  So I may spend a weekend with him.  Sounds like you and Ken are my type of people.  Regards.

Travis 

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:28:42 AM »
Very cool!!  Ken's a great guy, you should talk with him. 

I working on updating my book to its 3rd ed. , "FDA Regulatory Affairs: A Guide to Prescription Drugs, Medical Devices and Biologics", second edition....what alot of work!!!!!!

GL!

Doug

Offline markc

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »
Gentlemen, let me applaud you both on your educations.  These days the value of an education can not be underestimated.  I am 5 months out from completing my MS/P.  I can't wait, I am tired of reading and writing.  My wife is in the middle of her Ph.D. in Special Education/Education, and we now have all 3 of our kids either in college, or about to return to college this summer.  We are going broke, but an education is very important to us. 
markc

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
Hey Mark!!

Good for you both!!!  My PhD advisor and I had 4 kids between us during the 2 years of research and thesis writing (3 were his and he was almost 60)!!  We had our 1st child in 88 as I was in my masters program.  Graduated in 89 and started my PhD in 90 just in time for daughter #2.  Was in the midst of finishing my research in 96 and daughter #3 made her appearence.  My poor wife! I finished and defended in 1997, got my 2nd academic promotion in 98, a teaching excellece award and launched a new grad program in 99,  took my first Deanship in 2000 and haven't had the time to look back!!!  Anyway...tell your wife there's two kinds of dissertations...those that are good and those that are done!!!!!

Very best of luck!!!

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 05:54:23 AM »
Gentlemen, You are definitely lacking in fertility.  My beloved and I have five children.  My son Logan is 13 and my four girls are 12-5.  Buying our ranch was one of the best things we ever did for family boning.  We spend time in our cabin during the winter and time afileld during the warm months.

I am six years out from my 20 year committment to the Surgeon General and I am exploring consulting after I pull my last day.  One of my good FDA buddies recently went to work for Reglera as the Director of Compliance for their human reproductive tissue group.  I spend way too much time in embrology and other human tissue facilities.  Regards.

Travis

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 11:24:30 AM »
Now Travis....If'n I hada cabin that I spent the winter in, Lord knows how many young'ns I coulda sired!!!!  Heck, my Mom was one of 11!!!  Anyway...If I could have done it over again, I'd a gone into FDA right out of school, done my 20 and then went to work for some big Pharma or biotech.  No matter...did fine overall!

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 01:02:42 PM »
If you are ever down this way would love to buy you a beer.  Regards,  Travis

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
Thanks Travis!  I have quite a few colleagues at UPitt College of Pharmacy and at Duquesne.  If I get there soon I'll give you a call!!

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 01:41:06 AM »
Sounds good, one of my fellow Commissiond Corps officers at the FDA in Pittsburgh is a Pharmacist from Duquesne.  Take care.