Author Topic: coehorn mortar base size  (Read 2080 times)

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
coehorn mortar base size
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:55:17 AM »
guys, being new to the cannon world. I have a coehorn mortar tube coming from Dom Carptener. I am courious as to what size the wood base should be, I have acquired the oak for building and am just looking for deminisions for the base. bore size will be soda can. length of tube is 7 inches, 1 inch trunnions and not sure of OD. so what length wideth and thickness of the base should be?

also ideas on laminating the base material together? whats the best epoxy or glue should I use?

thanks
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: coehorn mortar base size
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 04:52:40 AM »
What style of base are you planning?   
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:01:34 AM »
We have a plenty of Coehorns listed on the board , got to the reference sticky and look them up.  Find a base you like and scale it to your tube. 

Offline smokemjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 05:19:47 AM »
 Glad you asked this question,I ordered a soda can mortar Sat. from Dom., I added 4 in. to the barrel to a total of 11 in., Had to order something to shoot as cant find a barrel yet to get rid of all these bowling balls that are chasing me around the basement. Now for a base and powder charge also. Thanks. Joe

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:21:10 AM »
Why did you add 4 inches?

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 06:18:52 AM »
 Maybe a little more vel. or  Range, I dont think I would care for the looks of the can flush with the end of the barrel, Just like long barrels, all my custom made B.P. Southernmountain rifles have 48 in. barrels.- Joe

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 07:06:47 AM »
Hi smokemjoe I'd love to see one of your custom Southernmountian rifle ...er cannon with a 48 inch tube  8).

It' nice to have another flintlocker here !

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 07:38:37 AM »
Maybe a little more vel. or  Range, I dont think I would care for the looks of the can flush with the end of the barrel, Just like long barrels, all my custom made B.P. Southernmountain rifles have 48 in. barrels.- Joe

But this isn't a cannon, it's a mortar it lobs.   Range is increased by increasing powder charge. You really don't want more velocity on a mortar any way, you can't see the ball go down range.  A can doesn't take advantage of higher velocity any way as it tends to tumble all over the place, if it doesn't self destruct right out of the barrel. The increase is velocity in smoothbore can mortar will be marginal anyway as the bore riding section is a expansion chamber and the powder chamber is fixed dimensions.  You can only get so much powder in there

If you need to cover the range  between mortar and a cannon  make a howitzer.  A howitzer will get you  high angle lobs and low flat trajectory....and a third gun!!! Mortar for close work, howitzer for mid range, cannon for longer work

As long as the can is below the muzzle what's the problem?

And, I want to see the Mountain rifle also.

Offline dynomike1x1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 08:41:22 AM »
24"L X 12"W X 7"H. I am working on my base for my Armour77 first edition pool ball mortar now.
There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »
Hello
I can give you drawings for the bases' i have made take a look let me know if your intrested one is a confederate style base with elevation screw and the other is a period style base all the hardware on the period base i had made thanks Austin
That Mortar shell is a 8" one i had

Austin,

The top mortar is a Union coehorn on a 1844 10 inch seacoast mortar base.  That base by the way was cast iron. I have a piece of one inch plate out in the shop that I am tempted to use make one of these bases.

The bottom is another Federal pattern mortar with a base style seen on captured Confederate mortars.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
The full size Union 24 pounder Coehorn mortar base was 31" long, 15" wide and 9" high; the muzzle was 8.65" in diameter.  The trunnion slot is off center by 1/2", that is it is 15" from the rear instead of 15 1/2".  The original piece was made from two pieces 7 1/2" thick.  My half size ones are made from 4 pieces of 8/4 oak (which is really only 1 3/4" thick.)  Waterproof glue would be best but any of the yellow glues should be OK.

The bolts that hold on the handles go all the way through and clamp the laminations together also.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill