Author Topic: What Book To Purchase?  (Read 477 times)

Offline moval04

• Trade Count: (0)
What Book To Purchase?
« on: February 20, 2010, 07:05:59 AM »
Good Afternoon,
The last post I saw was a lyman manual and it was dated in 2006. Is the Lyman manual a good start for someone new to handloading? Thanks.
Mo

Offline Manitobahunter

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: What Book To Purchase?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:33:41 AM »
  I think the Lyman manuel is a must have for a reloader.  Lyman doesn't make bullets or powder so there is no bias.  Lots of info in the 49th edition.

Cliff
Shoot straight

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:34:11 AM »
WELCOME!!

The LYMAN is THE manual I always recommend to a new loader!! my thinking is that they don't make bullets, cases or primers. So data is reflected in the "popular" offerings for other companies. Then once to get in the know and choose what you like. Buy there manual as well. its best to have a couple sources to double check load accuracy.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:51:54 AM »
I prefer my students of reloading to get the All in One books for their caliber of choice.
Its not bound by any one brand name, and cost $7 on average.

I even bought the 45-70 book, because its my play thing, and I like to experiment

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0003193210759a&navCount=1&podId=0003193&parentId=cat601672&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat601672_TGP&catalogCode=XK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601672&hasJS=true

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 08:05:06 AM »
My preference for the new handloader is also the Lyman Manual. Not just for the load data included but the how to instructions and other valuable data that one should know before loading, that several "load data" manuals fail to add.

Only $18 right now @ GBO Sponsor Midsouth Shooters Supply
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000159816049

Bill

Welcome to GBO  Mo  

Offline moval04

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 08:47:13 AM »
Thanks a lot for your replies... A Lyman it is.
Mo

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
Ya know? I read alot of stuff here and other on-line sources before I bought anything,
I went to my local library, checked out and read 3 books (1 at a time) before I even bought a press.

After downloading 3-4 manuals/how too, from manufactuers on-line for free, watching hours of video, then buying all the stuff, and THEN begining the loading process physicaly, I heard that the Lyman manual is a must have,,,

guess what? I bought one, the newest ,. It's my least looked at book. Honest. And no dis-respect intended.

But for the info as far as re-loading, it's as they say non-bias, yet generic. If one is limited too one source for reloading procedures and proper saftey protocol, WITH load information, it's a fantastic "one stop" book.

Now don't get me wrong , please, but I'd find the Lyman manual usefull, if the internet would collapse,

1st book? The ABC's of reloading. The 7th edition, not the 8th, hands down, a book that needs reading 3 times. ;D
found elsewhere

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 03:34:35 PM »
Yep, every newbie should be required to get the Lyman and read it cover to cover before they even buy any reloading equipment.

A simple and organised reloading regeim is usually a safe one, and that pretty well describes the one taught in this manual.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:33:48 AM »
I started reloading a couple of years ago.  I bought reloading equipment and 2 books - "The ABCs of Reloading" and an older edition Lyman reloading manual.  After reading through both books I set out to reaload my first cartridges which were for a .357 handgun.  The information I got from the two prior mentioned books was great for understanding the process of reloading.  As for load data, I started out simple and used all Winchester components and Winchester's load data.  As my comfort level with reloading grew, I expanded my knowledge through tips from this and other internet sights, I cross-reference every thing I can and work up loads with the components that I have on hand.  The Lyman manual provides some great "how-to" illustrations. The ABC's book offers expanded info that isn't included in the Lyman book.  I now use the All in One books and specific gunpowder manufacturers load data almost exclusively.

I have had various hobbies over the years and I can honestly say that the satisfaction that I get from handloading has been great.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 05:13:26 AM »
A Lyman data book was my first back in '88.  I bought it because it covered jacketed and cast bullets for rifle and handgun. I later realized it was a wise purchase and it's still my favorite.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 06:09:01 AM »
   Probably can't beat the Lyman. I just bought the newest edition.  I will have to admit my go to manual is Sierra. Might be because i shoot all Sierra bullets.
    bobg

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 07:30:23 AM »
you truely need the ABC's of reloading lots of info and pictures for a beginer. The newest Lyman I have is the 47th edition and highly req any of the lyman books I also like Ken Waters Pet loads a lot of research went into that book with great loads.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.