Author Topic: Remington Army different from Navy in frame specs?  (Read 734 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Remington Army different from Navy in frame specs?
« on: February 24, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »
I am thinking of getting the .36 caliber Remington New Model Navy by Uberti, I used to have the .44 Army version, thought I would be different this time.  The barrel is shorter on the .36 cal. and one guy on Wikipedia said the frame is smaller.  Is the .36 cal. Remington Navy a smaller gun, or was it the Army version in a smaller bore and shorter barrel length on the originals?

Thanks.

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Remington Army different from Navy in frame specs?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 02:06:50 PM »
Both Uberti and Pietta are currently making the 36 Navy on the 44 NM Army frame.  The original Remington Navy was on a smaller frame, as were some of the earlier Italian repros, Uberti once made the proper frame size, some years ago and I believe Euroarms did as well.

Too bad, as the original smaller Remington Navy was/is a nice size and weight for the caliber.  The original Remington Police was even smaller, a 5-shot.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »
Chris - I got a Pietta .36 Remington Navy last summer.  Unfortunately, I was too busy to shoot it but when I get backto MI from AZ I plan on doing a lot of plinking with it.  I don't know if what I have to say about it is worth anything to you as you said you were looking at an Uberti . . . but . . . . I love the Pietta that I got.  I did some horse trading and got it at Cabelas so I could look at it and handle it before I got it.  The fit and finish is super . . . . no machining marks and tight fitting joints on all of the metal work.  I have .36s - Colt '51 & '61 Navies and '62Colt Pocket Police.  I'm very impressed with the Pietta Remington Navy.  I have what I would call "average size" hands and the fit and balance of it in my hand is great.  If I had any complaints about it, it would be the grips.  They overhand a little at the heel of the grip frame but this isn't a big deal as they could be easily sanded and fitted.  The grip wood is fine but isn't a rich grained walnut which I like.  I'm going to change them to a faux ivory set of grips so it really isn't a factor anyway.  The frame size appears to be the same as the '58 NMA .44.  I find that the revolver has a good "weight feel" to it when I handle it.  To be honest, my only regret is that i didn't get two of them as I have a feeling it is going to be a great shooting revolver and the recoil will be very minimum.  Before you make a decision on it, you owe it to yourself to take a look at a Pietta, handle it and see what you think unless you are strictly a Uberti fan . . . which is fine as well as we all have our prefedrences.  I wish I could give you a report on how it shoots but I just didn't have the time to give her a try before leaving for AZ for the winter.  I have to tell you though that I have a feeling that it will soon become my "favorite".  Just my 2 cents worth on it. . . . and at that, my thoughts might not even be worth that!   ;D  Good luck in your search and enjoy!   :)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
I have both Uberti and Pietta Remingtons, and like them both, although the Piettas were older models than needed more tuning and corrections to get right, and folks have said the new Piettas are significantly improved.

As for size, I have Kirst conversion cylinders for two 36s and two 44s.  They timeshare the backplates, and though dangerous, the 44 cylinder will fit and function in the 36 revolver, so I must switch with care.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life