Author Topic: Adult wooden stock cut down to youth size  (Read 1055 times)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Adult wooden stock cut down to youth size
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:44:04 AM »
Does anyone know of a place I can mail to and have an adult wooden stock shortened and have a grind to fit limbsaver or pachmayr decelerator for a reasonable price?  My reasonable price is under $50 minus the pad.

yooper77

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Adult wooden stock cut down to youth size
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »
Try this guy, good and reasonable.  Larry

Address: 769 South End Road North Hero, VT 05474  USA
 Voice: 1-802-372-8812     
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:40:37 AM »
Try this guy, good and reasonable.  Larry

Address: 769 South End Road North Hero, VT 05474  USA
 Voice: 1-802-372-8812     

I will give him a call.

Thank you,
Andrew

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:07:44 PM »
If you know somebody who has a miter saw you, you can borrow, you can do it yourself. I have looked at several different model stocks and compared a full size to a youth, and if you hold them up side by side they are exactly the same contour only the youth stock is a couple or three three inches shorter. All you have to do is find out the length of pull on the youth model you want, take the recoil pad off and mark a line parallel to the stock end at the correct location. Place it in a miter saw and set the angle to the line and cut. A youth model recoil pad made for your stock should fit perfectly. I know this will work on some stocks, one in particular is the Handi-Rifle, but make sure you check it all out, and be sure you can get a youth recoil pad for it first. ;)

Offline yooper77

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:32:06 PM »
If you know somebody who has a miter saw you, you can borrow, you can do it yourself. I have looked at several different model stocks and compared a full size to a youth, and if you hold them up side by side they are exactly the same contour only the youth stock is a couple or three three inches shorter. All you have to do is find out the length of pull on the youth model you want, take the recoil pad off and mark a line parallel to the stock end at the correct location. Place it in a miter saw and set the angle to the line and cut. A youth model recoil pad made for your stock should fit perfectly. I know this will work on some stocks, one in particular is the Handi-Rifle, but make sure you check it all out, and be sure you can get a youth recoil pad for it first. ;)

There is no youth model recoil pad available.  I am cutting down a Weatherby Mark V sporter stock.  This is not the high gloss or fancy grain stock it is a common wooden stock.  I know that I can cut the stock myself, but I have no means of properly shaping the grind to fit pad, so I want it done professionally.

Thank you,
Andrew

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 09:24:16 AM »
A belt or disk sander is the best way to sand a pad to fit.. I have used a simple aaptor chucked in an electric drill(which was then chucked ina a vise) but it surely was a painful process. Sometimes the simpleist way is a pro..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline yooper77

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:07:15 PM »
Yes, but I don’t want to screw it up and I have no access to a belt or disk sander.