Author Topic: WHAT DOES BB MEAN ?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline steelhead51

• Trade Count: (14)
WHAT DOES BB MEAN ?
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:08:11 PM »
I think it means beveled base am I correct ? I found some lead bullets marked LRNFP-BB today if they are beveled base what does this do or what difference does it make ,I'am new to this lead thing ,but Iam find something new everyday  sounds like I might go this way. I shoot my RedHawk alot for a 44 mag it seems like a 357 to me after shooting contender 30-30 all jacked up.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: WHAT DOES BB MEAN ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:36:28 PM »
You are correct; BB = bevel based
http://www.magnusbullets.com/catalog.htm
scroll down to the legend.

Not sure why its important, maybe its easier to press them into the brass.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 02:14:38 AM »
Does the BB have anything to do with installing a gas check?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 02:38:55 AM »
The bevel base design allows the base to expand and contact the rifling . Their primary use if low velocity target / plinking. They are not designed for gas checks.Gas checked bullets have a flat base so that the gas check can be crimped in place during the sizing operation
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:59:40 AM »
I used to shoot mostly bevel based bullets because they are more plentiful from commercial casters.  This is because the BB bullets are easier to cast, but I found that the flat based bullets do not lead as much in my handguns so I buy FB or if I can find them Keith style bullets.  Keith bullets are a semi-wadcutter style that Elmer Keith designed that have flat base and two grease grooves with square shoulders in each and all bearing surfaces between grease grooves and crimping groove are equidistant.  For really full power loads I really like gas-checked bullets. 

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 07:59:17 AM »
BB bullets are easier to manufacture, drop from the molds I believe, and easier to start in the case. Never heard of them sealing the bore better (actually worse than flat base bullets). Many reloaders believe they cause leading in handguns; BB allows hot gas to get around the base and melt the body of the bullet rather than a flat base sealing the bullet/bore.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 12:45:03 PM »
The biggest advantage to beveb based bullets is that you don't need to flair the case mouth as much , thus causing less work hardening of the case mouth , they also do tend to seat a little straiter that a flat based bullet .

I have not found any more issues with them leading that any other cast bullet , provided that their sized properly and kept at proper speeds for the alloy .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
As stated they do drop easier from the mould, they do seat easier and tend to be self centering. As far as expanding to fill the bore, not unless you are running them so hot that it well exceeds the speed they should be pushed. HB or Hollow Base bullets are the ones that expand to fill the bore. I've also not seen any more leading than normal with flat based bullets, I have seen better accuracy with flat based bullets although it may or may not be due only to the bullet base style. For general shooting at 25yds I honestly think the difference is marginal, for longer distance shooting I'd opt to try them out against a FB bullet and see what your gun prefers. I'm overly partial to the keith design for most of my shooting, so that is what I use.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com