Author Topic: Federal Intensity scopes.  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Federal Intensity scopes.
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:21:08 AM »
I did a search and didn't find anything real helpful. Could just be me.
Has anyone tried out the Federal Intensity scopes yet?
I picked one up off SPG for the cheap price.
It says they were made or designed by the guys from Weaver.
I mounted it on a 45-70. I'm gonna start with 340gr bullets.
If it holds up to that I'll probably give it a run with 500gr.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried them out yet. ???
No need to re-invent the wheel. ::)
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Federal Intensity scopes.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:02:12 AM »
I have the aspherical 3.8-12X44 AO Intensity scope, bought from Natchez Shooters Supply about 5 months ago. Sportsman guide had this model Intensity scope, but now sold out.  A fellow shooter at range, who pretty much only uses Leopold/Nikon brand scopes, asked to look thru the lens of this scope.  He'd noticed a Natchez ad and needed a low priced scope for a centerfire rifle he didn't want to put a Leopold/Nikon on.  He was impressed with the optics on my scope and thought there was nothing cheap looking about the scope.   I've had my Intensity on either a 6.5 Swede mauser sporter or a .257 Roberts rifle since buying it.  Probably over a couple of hundred rounds fired in these rifles with scope.  NO problems whatsoever.  Very pleased with it.   Happen to own a 43 Spanish 1879 Argentine rolling block and for my 370 gr cast bullet loads I've referred to trapdoor 45-70 load data a few times for my reloads in the past.  Based on recoil of my rolling block, don't think you should have a recoil problem with the Intensity.  However, not sure about a modern rifle in 45-70, with their stouter loads.

Offline Buck-Ridge

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
 I swore I'd never try another cheap scope but I bought one of the 4 x 12 AO scopes this year when an old redfield gave up the ghost. I bought it for my 243 in case my wife wanted to hunt and I am very pleased with it. It is very clear comparing it to my Leupold Vari X 111 and Vari X 11. It has precise adjustments and the crosshairs are still visible looking toward the sun. I shot a 22 LR a few times at 100 yards at a target and could see easily where the bullets were hitting. I couldn't see them with either Leupold. I am unsure how well it will hold zero but the clarity is very good.

Offline Old Grizz

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:33:11 PM »
I have heard these scopes were made in China but I tried to investigate these scopes and found very little about them.
Marlin 1895G Rules
45-70
Member Team Hornady
Life Member NRA
Member NAHC

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:39:09 AM »
I bought a 3-10x44, it's made in the Philippines, I haven't used it yet, but it appears to be very nice glass for $50. 

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain