Author Topic: 22 hornet  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Smokin54

• Trade Count: (0)
22 hornet
« on: November 25, 2002, 02:43:14 PM »
Ok I, got me a 10 inch 22 hornet barrel for my contender, I cant see good enough to shoot open sights any more . So I thought I pop on a rifle scope but am curious as to what power is best for shooting IHMSA and what division I would endup in with this.

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
22 Hornet: IHMSA /Field Pistol /PAS
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 04:29:34 PM »
Good question. I looked up the rules at http://www.ihmsa.org/carl/rulebook/ . It appears that you would fall under the category: (PAS), Production Any Sights. Reading further on I noticed that all Field Pistol competion is fired from the standing position. It should be alot of fun!! Regarding type of scope, I'll defer to someone with more experience to ansewer that question. BTW GB, thank you for the forum.

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
22hornet
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 02:52:21 AM »
I know of a few people using the BSA target scope with very good luck. Get a high rise mount and it makes it a lot more comfortable.
lead bullets done right

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Hornet scope
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 04:41:01 AM »
Smoke,

I shoot a 10 inch Hornet for NRA Field Pistol, Hunter Bore.  My load is 10 gr of 1680 under a Winchester 55gr fmjBt.  I use a Tasco World Class with a military dot reticle.  Held in the "taco hold" position it works pretty good.  I have the Weaver see-thru mount that gets it up pretty high and my front hand grabs only the scope.

With the Hornet in field pistol, you shoot flat enough that any rifle scope will work fine, since you don't have to adjust your scope when you go from pigs to turkeys and rams etc.

My scope is a 3X9 power but my scores are better when I use it on the 3 power setting.   I get flustered with the jiggle when I shoot it on higher powers.

I hope this helps  :)
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
22 hornet
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 09:28:46 AM »
High rise mounts are not legal for Hunter's Pistol and Field Pistol.
Get any Rifle scope that you can see out of.  Get a good base and a set of the tallest rings you can get.  There are several "see-thru" ring sets available on the market.  These are still legal.  

You will be shooting the gun in what is called the "taco" hold.  Fire similar to a rifle as far as scope position.  I put my left hand on the scope bell.  Some of the other shooters put their left tumb under the stock and the fingers over the scope.  Whatever is comfortable.    

Shooting out to 100 yards/meters pending on the range.  Lots of the hornet barrels like 50 grain or smaller bullets.  Some will shoot a few of the 52, 53, and 55s.  I wasn't lucky enough to find any that will shoot in mine, yet....have a set of swage dies coming.  We will see.....

Good luck, you will get hooked.  Practice, practice, practice,  shoot, have fun, shoot more, you will miss, miss, miss, miss, and then start to hit more and more and more and soon.......you will get there.  Just takes lots of shooting!

Steve
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Ekspurt

22 hornet
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2002, 09:55:03 AM »
Not quite accurate. High rise scope mounts ARE legal in IHMSA Field Pistol PAS catagory. They are NOT :wink:  leagal in NRA Hunter's Pistol.

Offline IHMSAeditor

• http://www.ihmsa.org
22 hornet
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2002, 10:33:32 AM »
While the Ken Light high rise is legal in Field Pistol, remember the safety issue. Can you keep all body parts safely behind the muzzle with a high rise on a 10" barrel? Powder burns do smart!  :cry:  Steve
Our Liberties We Prize and Our Rights We Will Maintain - Iowa State Motto

Offline Hornetx60

• Avid Poster
22 Hornet
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2002, 11:56:24 AM »
Smokin 54 You just bought the best bbl for Field Pistol. If you intend on shooting only IHMSA then use the Ken Light 3" High Rise . If you are going to shoot NRA also then go with the 1.5" High Rise..as it is legal in Both and it is better to shoot the same gun in both games. Shoot as High of Power as you can. I shoot a Leupold 24X BR-D. I don't look at the whole target. I look for a spot on the target to aim at. If you make yourself shoot at a smaller taget area you hit in the smaller area. When you start reloading you will be best served by a 52 or 53 or 55gr bullet. There is no need to push it any faster than 1850 to 1875FPS. Some guys even run them nuch slower but Iv'e found ranges with sticky rams will ring on the lighter loads. 1850 fps is light enough to not make you flinch. Good Luck Bill R 8)
Also there is no safety problem with the use of the Ken LIght 3"High Rise. The first time you use it you just need to look at where your forearm is before you shoot. Now if you are using a brake ...,even on a 14" bbl you will need to keep your arm more straight up and down or you will feeel the slap of the blast. For most intelligent people it only takes one smack to get the idea. :eek: