Author Topic: .17 ackley bee forming  (Read 1451 times)

Offline chigger

• Trade Count: (0)
.17 ackley bee forming
« on: May 18, 2010, 03:59:45 PM »
I picked up a Bullberry barrel in .17 ackley bee.  It came with 100 something brass pre-fireformed.  After firing these brass for a little over two years now.  I am starting to split necks.  Time to retire the brass. 
I've purchased some new .218 bee brass (new)  I tried to size slowley with the FL die.  I know it would be best if I had the 2 forming dies to make the brass form correctly.  BUT, with lack of funds at current time.  I am wondering.  I'll get back to the wondering in a moment. 
I've sized brass down from 30.06 to 25.06 in one fell swoop, no problems - no annealing.  Lubed and go.  Those worked great.
I tried to size from .218 to .17 in one swoop.  NOPE! crushed them.  tried lubed, stll crushed them, annealed them -still crushed them. 
This is where the wondering is coming in.  With the lack of funds to purchase the 2 forming dies, (almost $200).  I've got to looking at getting a set of dies for a 20 vartarg (under $40)- .204 (under $35), something in the .20 caliber area. 
I would have to cut the die to accommodate the lenght of the .218 bee case.  Then I would be able to take the current FL die for 17 ackley bee and size it to where I need it. 
I have not done all my research on this for neck angle and so forth.  I don't want to have excessive headspace that would perhaps give me troubles with the fireforming. 
penny for your thoughts. 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: .17 ackley bee forming
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:36:17 PM »
Try sizing down using the seating die first, then the sizing die, that usually will work.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline RAdkins

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:55:23 AM »
Get one of Bullberry's double ended dies.  These cost around $45.00 and have worked great for my .17AB.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »
Yup, make one or use one of the BB dies, you need to go to .20 cal first.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com