Author Topic: Ruger vs Kel-tec .380 pocket pistol  (Read 2323 times)

Offline lippygoathead

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger vs Kel-tec .380 pocket pistol
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:06:52 AM »
I am planning on buying one of these pistols by CHRISTmas.  But which one?  From what I read it would be a toss-up between the two.  I would like the pros and cons for these pistols from people who actually shoot these pistols.  Thanks for the help. :)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Ruger vs Kel-tec .380 pocket pistol
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
Kel-Tec it actually works. I think all the Ruger's have had to go back to the factory and even afterward I've still heard complaints on them. I believe the Kel-Tec costs less and works better. It is what Ruger tried to copy but fell a bit short of matching.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »
Kel-Tec P-3AT looks cheaper but mine always went bang when the booger hook pulled the bang switch. I am not a real big rugger fan, and GB is right Ruger has had a bunch of problems with the LCP...
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »
We have had (the wife that is OK) 2 of those Ruger LCP's and 3 various KEL-TEC's! I personally think the Kel-Tec is the better choice at this present time. I like the PF-9 and still have one of them in the safe. You can NOT feed them a steady diet of HOT AMMO as they will not hold up. If you Limp Wrist those weapons, they will JAM in a hurry.

We had far better luck with the Kel-Tec brand of pocket pistol than the Ruger simply put. The accuracy on the one I have now, is very very good. I have shot 2.5 inch groups with Blazer ammo at 21 feet and it will shoot 4 to 5 inch groups with just about anything I try in the pistol, except hollow point ammo.

Self-Defense ammo I used was called Pow-R-Ball, it has a plastic insert inside the hollow point, that makes the nose of the bullet round. This takes care of any feeding problems period. That ammo in the 9mm Luger shoots a 100 grn. bullet 1430 ft per second with 483-lbs of kinetic energy.......nothing to sneeze at let me tell you.

Now what I don't like about the Kel-Tec's is that if you don't let that trigger come all the way forward when you fire a round off, it will NOT fire the next round. In the heat of a gun fight, this might be a problem, reason I carry a GLOCK that goes BANG everytime I pull that trigger regardless. Some Kel Tecs are picky about ammo used also!

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:43:24 PM »
I know of three Kel-Tec owners that had to send theirs back after the first clip of ammo at the range. When they came back all was well. (one 32 and 2 380s) I don't know anyone who bought the Ruger, so I can't say.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
I have a post-recall produced LCP.  It goes bang every time with all the different ammo I've tried, both JHPs and FMJs. Works for me.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 12:59:46 PM »
P.S.  I also have a Kel-Tec that works every time - but it's a PF-9.

Offline aglass1987

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »
I bought the ruger lcp post recall back in late june. I fired about 100 rounds through it and never had a problem with it all. The store where I buy my guns, the kel tec was only 20$ cheaper. But the rugers have a over all nicer fit and finish I think. I believe the problem they had with the rugers was that when dropped the pistol would go off.  My pistol has shot everything I feed it just fine. I believe the kel tecs doesn't have the slide lock like the rugers.

Offline sherpa

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:21:16 AM »
i have both the p3at .380 & a p11 .9mm never a problem with either one.
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 07:32:35 AM »
We have both because the wife wanted a Kel-Tec, and it turned out to be the most unreliable handgun I have ever seen. It would jam with every kind of ammo we put through it except CCI Blazer. In all we put about 500 rounds through it, and it still jamed. So we got the Ruger when it came out. It has fired everything we have put in it without a hicup.

Of course, after buying two guns, I'm wishing she had wanted the .380 Sig to begin with and had a real gun that is bigger for sure, but dependable and worth the money.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
OLD Grizz!............... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
Great idea. And I'm sure it will be cheaper than the Sig!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »
 :o    :o    :o    :o

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »
I shot and carried the Kel-tec P3At all summer in a wallet holster. Ran about 200 rounds through it at the range and it was fairly reliable as long as you stayed focused and held it tight.

Never was a big fan of the looks though, my son has better looking cap pistols. I mean how much more would a metal trigger cost?

Sold it and now saving up for a Kahr p380 for next summer. In the winter I carry a Kahr P9 with muzzle break or my Taurus .45acp.

Doug

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 12:00:46 PM »
My wife carries the K-T .380, and although it's a good gun, I personally don't care for it.  It just doesn't fit my hand very well.  If you're looking for a comfortable, affordable, and reliable .380, check out Bersa.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline DenLee

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 04:43:54 PM »
There was a slide recall on the P3AT a few years back. Mine was one of them. Sent it back and when it came back no problems at all! If I can't carry the 637 the P3AT is the best alternative. Works perfect.

Offline shot1

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 02:02:17 AM »
I have a Kel-tec 380 that I carry as a pocket pistol everyday. I have fired Rem. and Mag-tec ball and some hot loaded reloads with 100 gr Speer HP and my everyday carry load Cor-bon 90 gr HP and it has never malfunctioned. The hot Cor-bon ammo shoots to the sights and packs much more of a punch than the Kel-tec 32 I had before they made the 380. BTW the 32 never malfunction either. I mainly shot Rem ball and Cor-bon hp in it. Like has been said you can't limp wrist them and expect them not to malfunction. I have some friends that have the Ruger and they have not had any problems with malfunctions. They have the laser sight on theirs. You put the red dot on where you want it to hit and it pretty much will hit there out to 20 yards or so.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 04:19:03 AM »
I have a P-380, one of the early ones, and it has been 100% reliable with every type of ammo I could find. I did do the "fluff & buff" before I ever fired the first round but I have no complaints with it for what it is. I haven't fired a round from it in the past couple of years because it just really is not an enjoyable gun to shoot but that is true of all really small handguns. Any very light weight semi-auto does require a firm grip or they will malfunction since they have almost no mass below the slide but in a real life and death situation you probably won't be limp wristing the gun, more likely pressing permanent fingerprints into it.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 04:47:26 PM »
I know several guys that have the post recall Ruger LCP, and they all love it. I have a buddy that I shot his Kel-Tec, and didn't care for it, and neither did he. After about 2-3 boxes of ammo in it he sold it.

Offline ricktile66

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
I have the Pre-recall LCP and love it.  Always went bang before and after the fix.  Turnaround was one week and got an extra mag and hat out of the deal.  The crimson trace laser makes it easy to hit with at combat distances.

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 06:57:37 AM »

Now if is under the price of the Kahr I'll be interested.

Doug

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »
That S&W does indeed look pretty darned interesting.  Just ordered a Ruger LCP myself.  It just looks better than the Kel Tec - was only $14 more than the gray-bodied Kel-Tec (and $50 CHEAPER than the black Kel Tec from the same source), and I've had good luck with Ruger in the past.  Wanted a Kahr but the price just was too much. Wish they made a CW version of the P380.  If the lil Smithy is under $400 though I think it'll be a good seller. 

Hopefully this new batch of .380 pistols focused on concealment will lead to higher ammo production.  They seem to be what everyone is pushing in that arena now.

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »
I have both the Kel-Tec P9 and P3AT. never had a misfire or hang up with either one yet. The P3AT is a little small for large hands but I carry it in a pocket holster and forget I even have it on me.....
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline jwardiii

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
The LCP has worked just fine for me. I've got over 500 rds through it and it's running flawlessly. Nothing against Kel-Tec intended. A local gun store had a couple of P32's in the display before I got the Ruger, and if they'd been P3AT's I would probably have walked out with one. But I'm glad I ended up with the LCP in the end. I had Innovative Arms put a useable set of sights on it and have had no regrets.

T
There ain't many problems a man can't fix with 700 dollars and a .30-06.