Author Topic: sunshades  (Read 383 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
sunshades
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
I just bought a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 for a rem. 700 vtr (24" unported) it has turned out to be a real shooter. I've been thinking about getting a sunshade for the scope (I know they look very retarded on the new buckmasters) do to the sun being above the targets in the afternoon at my range. My question is what is the best length of sunshade to get 2, 3 , 4 inches I've never used one, basically how long will be enough and how long is just going to be a waste or redundant? Any help would be great, thanks.

Offline abigdiesel

• GBO Supporter
Re: sunshades
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:51:35 AM »
One drawback to sunshades would be that they limit light when you would need more of it, at dawn and at dusk.  If you don't do much at either of those times then they are great.  I have a 4" on my vxIII 8.5-25 leupold, and just take it off when not needed.  2" would probably not help much since objective diameter is close to that, so I would say go for the longer of your options.  Anything over 4" would probably be overkill for range use.  Benchrest shooters use white plastic tubes that are way longer than any of use would use.  They let in plenty of light, but also limit mirage from heat off of the barrel. 

What cal. VTR did you get?? 
"The American Revolution was a beginning, not a consummation."  ~Woodrow Wilson

NRA and VHA member

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
Re: sunshades
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »
Thanks for the info, I got one in 308 (cabelas had a lot made for them with 24' unported barrels and they were on sale) The group in the pic is a match load I had worked up for a m1a I had and well as you can see it shoots quite well. That is my best group so far measures .200 center to center at 100 yrds, it hasn't printed a group with this load over .5 yet. I intentionally bought the rifle to do some 600yrds shooting. I went with the buckmaster it was the most scope I could get for the money and I know the sunshades limit light but my range and one area where I hunt the sun hangs over the target/ area game comes out in. Thanks for the info I'll look into getting a 4 inch one.