Author Topic: Rick's new toy  (Read 3037 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Rick's new toy
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:41 PM »
Hopefully his "toy" is not under water.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Inventioneer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I Shoot Better than I Spell
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 02:24:29 PM »
Well it's not a very long story and I was a lot younger and a bit more defiant.
This cannon was in the basement closet of the house my mother bought when I was about 11 years old.
I remember there were some welding rods in that closet too. I thought they were sparklers and tried to get them to light ...haha.
A cannon makes a very distinct sound in the middle of a frozen pond when its about 10 degrees out
with that cold dry air.
We weren't shooting anything, Just wadding. That cannon was only about 16 inches long.
With something like a one inch bore, It was really heavy for a small cannon as I remember.
It  had a base with wheels but the wheels did not roll as I remember.
It might have been a bit smaller,(probably)  but seemed pretty big as a kid.
and you had to go find it after firing it off sometimes.
Sometimes it would go flying straight backwards and be buried in a snow drift .
sometimes it would go flipping thru the air.
It's a wonder none of us ever got killed with that thing, Boy, it was loud!!!The last load was always the loudest
because there was never really enough powder for 2 charges, but always enough for one big one.
Well short story even shorter, we were warned. Some one said "ONE MORE TIME AND i'M CALLING THE COPS !"
and of course we had that one oversize charge left. so we touched it off and just after that, the green snowmobile came and that was the end of that cannon. Never got another cannon. I also know someone else who had a cannon taken away, also in the winter while out on the lake ice fishing, I think Game wardens collect cannons and that's probably why he took it.  :)

Offline Inventioneer

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »
Mrs Andrews owned that pond and I remember she would stand in the window and watch us do Dumb stuff like floating around on Icebergs with sticks for paddles when the ice was melting. Smoking cigarrets we stole from our parents...
She nevered turned us in tho. I think it was Jerry Mailman that turned us in, he didn't like us because we used to drain the gas out out of the gas lines after he closed at his gas station to fill up the gocart. Gas was 30 cents a gallon then.
I just dated myself didn't I?  Crap! I'M GETTING OLD

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »
When I got my drivers license I was paying 17.9 cents a gallon for gas. Now I am paying $4.019 for diesel fuel, fortunately I only fuel up my PU two or three times a year.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Inventioneer

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
i'm trying to figure that one.
Either you don't go very far, or you have another vehicle or you have two huge tanks in that truck  :)

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 08:25:15 PM »
I put about 1,000 miles a year on my pu and more than that on my mobility scooters each year.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.