Author Topic: Cast lead .380acp  (Read 706 times)

Offline bscman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Cast lead .380acp
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
I just picked up about 875pcs of 95gr lubed, cast bullets from a neighbor for .380acp...bullet barn bullets.

I've got Winchester 231, Unique, and Bullseye and about 2,000 once-fired .380 cases...but no recipe! Three manuals and no info on cast bullets for .380, and I can't find anything via google.

Does anyone have any pointers or information for reloading cast bullets for .380acp?

Thanks!
Brett in WA

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Cast lead .380acp
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:08:11 AM »
I think Lyman's has a recipe in their cast bullet book, but mine is out in the shed right now.  I'll look this evening after work.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:56:42 AM »
These loads will work with cast bullets.  Came right off the internet.

Make sure you do a minimal bell in the case mouth to get the cast bullet started.  If you dont, you will shave lead.  Also, seat bullets in one step.  Come back and crimp in second step.  380s are taper crimped and headspace off the case mouth.  You want that bell removed so you headspace properly.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline bscman

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:18:48 PM »
Steve P,

I was under the impression the loads between cast and jacketed bullets are different due to the friction. Should I back off the loads slighty for these cast lead bullets, or just match the data listed.

All my manuals have plenty of info on .380 JACKETED bullets, but nothing for straight lead. Being that one of my .380's is blow-back (and inexpensive) I'm taking things extra cautiously.

Thanks!

Offline gray-wolf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
Always start low and work up your load, and watch for any high pressure indicators.

GW.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:58:18 AM »
Lead (ie graphite) is more lube.  Your lead bullets will have less friction than jacketed bullets.  I shouldn't say this, but if you chronograph your loads, you will probably get velocity quite a bit higher than listed jacketed loads and could likely go with more powder before getting any pressure signs.  Only concern with lead bullets is leading the barrrel and/or action. A good lube on the bullets will keep your loading ramp clean and your barrel clean.  Too much powder will leave powder residue in the barrel and can start erosion of the base of an un-checked bullet with starts the leading of the barrel.

I shoot cast in my 45, 9mm, and 40S&W with no leading and no problems.  I use good lube and moderate book loads.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline bscman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 02:18:22 PM »
Okay, thanks Steve!

I load 200gr .45acp wadcutters and 158gr wadcutters for 38/357, but the loads I use are always a good bit lower than the same weights for jacketed.

I'll take the info you posted into consideration and work up a light load. I'll post back on the results!

Thanks again,
Brett in WA