Author Topic: Value of a 1890 22LR shooter  (Read 867 times)

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
Value of a 1890 22LR shooter
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:12:06 AM »
I have a 1890 Winchester 22LR Takedown model that I’m thinking of selling locally
It has a repaired stock and an Numrich 22LR barrel.
The rest of the rifle is original with the typical metal and forearm finish for a 1916 rifle. The rifle works 100%
It’s a shooter not really a collector!
What do you think the value would be for this rifle

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Value of a 1890 22LR shooter
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 07:19:50 PM »
It wouldn't be much.
You would get more as a parts gun than a shooter.

I also have one.
Nice shooting guns.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:29:12 AM »
I remember once a long loooong time ago when I was an aspiring collector of the old Winchester pump guns I ordered one out of Shotgun News. The condition was promised to be excellent a real nice clean collector gun. I don't recall just now what I paid for it but when it arrived it was not even in as good a condition as what you mention.

I was so disgusted and disappointed I gave up the idea of becoming a collector of the guns as I felt I would not be able to trust the folks that would be my primary source of supply in obtaining them. I seldom saw them locally so figured ordering them would be needed.

I don't recall just what I eventually did with it whether I sold or traded it off but I was more disappointed in that deal than any other I've ever made. It was the first time I was royally screwed on a gun deal. It wasn't the last time and perhaps not even the worse I've ever been treated on a gun deal but it was my first and will always be a sore spot for me in a life long career of buying and trading guns to get that next one I "just can't live without".

Perhaps it is even what turned me against Winchesters to the point I've owned few in my life time as compared to most brands and why now when I think of long guns I think of Remington not Winchester.

My best guess as to the value of your rifle is around $150-$200 these days but that's more guess than knowledge talking. I wouldn't give more than around $100 for one and would use it as a wall hanger only.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:08:11 AM »
I don’t even remember what we paid for it 25 years ago, maybe $100-$125. With a ratty barrel and stock broken on the bottom half
My Dad molded and shaped a piece of pallet wood to the broken stock and replaced the barrel. All the other parts were in good shape.
He made it into a nice shooter and I still shoot once in a while. It’s a pretty nice squirrel rifle with the Numrich barrel too.
I don’t think it’s really worth selling and being my only pump 22 that I shouldn’t. I try to use all my rifles in the field at least once a year and the early September squirrel season isn’t really that far away!

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:21:01 AM »
i believe id hold on to any gun my dad had worked on ..my son now owns the shotgun ,my dad gave me.. slim..
 ps not much compares with my memories of me an daddy hunting or something togather..