Author Topic: 45/70 Starline brass??  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
45/70 Starline brass??
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »
Will soon be starting to load for a RUGER 45/70 which just came to live at my house and am looking at components.

I view a site listing Remington. Winchester and Starline brass in the 45/70 and the Starline brass price was far and away better then the others!!!!!!!!!

Any reason Not to go with Starline brass??

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 45/70 Starline brass??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:11:33 PM »
I like starline brass, pick up a bunch and start your loading. 

silvertp

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »
 :D Hey, glad you got the 45-70....Have a Marlin...but will probably only use jacketed bullets in mine...I have lots of starline brass for my .44's it has worked very well...I b elong to a pistol group that is having a special run of this for the clan...I would guess it is ok or they would not mess with it...they are very savy pistol folks...that is the only help I can offer...Glad you got what you were looking for...with the .300 and .45 - 70 you are ready for everything...a good feeling..

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »
Thanks guys!!

I kind figured that was the case with the Starline brass, and don't hear bad things about it at all.

However, with limited hands on and a user of mostly Winfester brass, I just wanted to tap into all the expert folk out there and make sure.

I have one lonely round of factory 45/70 sitting over my loading bench.  Who knows where I picked it up.

It is calling to me, but to shoot just one will be as bad as just one potatoe chip and you know what they say about that.

Should have a good pile of Cabela's points stocked up at the next billing cycle, so need to be calm and cool and wait before putting in the order for dies etc.

later And Keep em Coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 01:31:39 AM »
*------* brass is the choice of many using moon clips for revolvers.  It is fine brass.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline KansasPaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »
I have to agree that Starline brass is of very good quality.  I feel that it is a "premium" brass and I reserve it for the hottest of my .44 mag loads. It cleans up nice and retains case length better than other brands - the only other brass that has come close has been Winchester brass. Given the choice, I will always go with Starline first.

Offline johnjohn

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 03:10:01 PM »
L like Starline brass. Have used it in:45/70 , .45Colt, .44mag.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:58:47 AM »
Thanks fellers!!!!!!

Sounds good, and is about what I had hoped for.

Sounds like someone may come by today and relieve me of my RUGER Red Label.

If that happens, I will rapidly move in the direction of obtaining brass, dies, bullet mold and lube/sizer dies for the 45/70.

Think the starline is the way to go!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »
Rec'd a phone call this morning in response to an "on line ad" and the advertised RUGER Red Label has a new home.

So, that means I will look for a cheaper shotgun for the little shotgun shooting I do, and I have the funds to order the 45/70 supplies.

I went on line to Buffalo Arms, located a bit North of here and ordered the Starline brass, an RCBS 405gr bullet mold, gas checks, luber/sizer die in .459 and a top punch.

As I indicated, the Starline brass is waaaaaaay cheaper then the Rem. & Win. and I am hearing nothing but good about the Starline product.

Anyway, if not hit with a bunch of B.O.s the RUGER "1" should be up and running with home brew before long.

Thanks for you help and input!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline KansasPaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
Ruger #1 in 45/70??  Man, I wish I had one of those... and one in .260 rem

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 04:19:05 PM »
Yep,

Over the years I have very much enjoyed my time with  #1s!

The last one went to my son after it got so I couldn't carry things in my arms for any length of time without pain or arms going to sleep.

Then I found the boonie or safari slings which took the pain and effort away.

Son said he'd give the rifle back, but I didn't see that as an option.

So this will be good, back to packing a very fun rifle and this time hunting with my own cast bullets.

Been years since I harvested a critter which was out of range for the 45/70, so look'in forward to this Summer and Fall.

Keep em coming!

CDOC 
300 Winmag