Author Topic: Gas Cly. Question  (Read 555 times)

Offline smokemjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Gas Cly. Question
« on: February 26, 2010, 03:14:22 PM »
 I have 2 -Cyls. that are 2 small for the BBs, The question is, I can take a piece of paper and slide it in under the big ring of the tanks were the  company stamps there name .It goes in and stop about 1 in. where the threads start on the  hole. How are these tanks made, If you placed this tank on a big band saw and sawed it off just behine that collar, Would this cut off all the threaded part so you could weld a powder chamber to it. Got a place that will let me know when there get a AA2400 tank that dont hydor test and want to cut the top off of this way.Then weld on a powder chamber. Thanks for ther help

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Gas Cly. Question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »
I wouldn't ....Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:19:09 PM »
I have 2 -Cyls. that are 2 small for the BBs, The question is, I can take a piece of paper and slide it in under the big ring of the tanks were the  company stamps there name .It goes in and stop about 1 in. where the threads start on the  hole. How are these tanks made, If you placed this tank on a big band saw and sawed it off just behine that collar, Would this cut off all the threaded part so you could weld a powder chamber to it. Got a place that will let me know when there get a AA2400 tank that dont hydor test and want to cut the top off of this way.Then weld on a powder chamber. Thanks for ther help

Sure why not.  Build your powder chamber and attach it to the trunnion  Open the valve hole so it it will slip over the chamber.  Weld the tank to the chamber and the trunnion and add a filet-or is that fillet- on either side of the trunnion.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:06:23 AM »
How are these tanks made
I've seen gas cylinders made and it's quite interesting. The entire cylinder is formed from a single piece of steel that starts as a round disc. I believe it's called the billet pierce process, the same that is used for making seamless tubing (actual seamless, not DOM).
Here is a site showing the basics: Click.

Online Double D

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 05:37:40 AM »
Thanks Soot! Nice intro to a link also!!  ;)

Offline smokemjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:45:28 AM »
Soot; Thanks, That a big help, I worked in a hot forge shop once, ran a bull dozer press, I see now were the cap cover for the  valve is press on, and then welded to that plug that is threaded on the inside., If you cut that cap area off about  1 in. why then the nose of the tank would show. Now what yous do from there on to make a safe mortar with the chamber on the ouside. Your guys a great help to make it safe. Joe

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
Here's a good video showing the process, 5.5 min long: Click.
The entire cylinder including the threaded neck is formed from one solid disc of steel.
I have some small C02 cylinders, I may have to chop 1 up.

Online Double D

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »
Soot; Thanks, That a big help, I worked in a hot forge shop once, ran a bull dozer press, I see now were the cap cover for the  valve is press on, and then welded to that plug that is threaded on the inside., If you cut that cap area off about  1 in. why then the nose of the tank would show. Now what yous do from there on to make a safe mortar with the chamber on the ouside. Your guys a great help to make it safe. Joe

I'd put the powder chamber on the inside.