Author Topic: Powder storage...  (Read 1087 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Powder storage...
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:59:26 PM »
I picked up a couple powder lockers today. Actually I have had them for some time, but left them at work. the other day my brother stopped over with gifts... Seems his father-in-law passed away last year and he was a re-loader! I helped him price up everything for sale. This was left over as unsaleable. Open cans of powder...quite a bit of it, about a third of what I had on hand. Most of his was 4 and 8 pound kegs. He was a Hi-power shooter with a bunch of 308's.

Anyhow, I now really see the need for better storage of my powder. So I brought this home...

Its 36" tall, 24 inches deep and 18" wide. I have two of these identical. I may need another!!!

What do you use??

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Powder storage...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »
Not really approved, but I use old coolers.  Keeps the temperature moderated and won't contain the pressure enough to cause an explosion.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:37:02 PM »
"What do you use??"

Just a simple shelf,,on the oposite side of the room from my bench,,handily holds all 4 bottles of powder I have ;D
(room for 2 more!) If I fill that up, I'll add another shelf.

Nice box,,I'd paint it though, leave the sign on but, safety yellow?? nah,,
found elsewhere

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:05 AM »
"What do you use??"

Just a simple shelf,,on the oposite side of the room from my bench,,handily holds all 4 bottles of powder I have ;D
(room for 2 more!) If I fill that up, I'll add another shelf.

Nice box,,I'd paint it though, leave the sign on but, safety yellow?? nah,,

I did that too... but my couple cans has "grown" a bit.....
 here is what I had just a couple years ago. Its at least  twice that now.  ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:22 AM »
CW...You better get shooting! You've got some old cans there!
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:29:40 PM »
mine was on a shelf like yours CW but not quite as much. When the kids came, I needed to rebuild the shelving anyway... I lined the sides top and bottom with sheetrock and put a chunk of  2x12 plank on a hinge for a door. Installed a small key lock in the door. My hope is that it has more fire resistance than open plywood shelving. I think with the sheetrock the walls are over 1 in thick. I've been accumulating powder lately so its stuffed full. Need to get off this machine and down to the bench loading ammo!
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
Like many others, I keep my supplies on a wood shelf.  I acquired a solid old desk that I use to store odds and ends and I built a floor-to-ceiling shelf unit out of 1x12s.  The shelf is attached to the concrete wall in a corner of my basement.  It's a nice dry location - I installed a really bright overhead light and a radio to keep me company. 

Some day

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
CW

I've been thinking along those same lines , what was once a couple bottles of powder has become a numerical nightmare ( 4595 , 3031 , BLC-2 , Bullseye , Tac ) you get the idea . Might get a second one for loaded ammo too .

Besides that I could use the shelve space for other things like more BRASS & BULLETS .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline davem270win

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
If you read the recommendations, you can store up to 20 lbs. of powder in original containers in a residence - on a shelf, for example.

For 21 to 50 lbs, a wooden box or cabinet with walls at least 1" thick is 'required'.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#recommendations.

I would imagine the local fire marshal would only become concerned once you've actually had a fire...

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »
The old high-nosed locomotives had a locker about 5 feet high and a foot deep. I have 2 and use them for powder and ammo. I added qualiy locks for a degree of security.

When storing powder be mindful of the temperature. Dont let it freeze or get very warm. It will last many years at room temperature. Discard any powder you cant positivly identify. I have seen some 223 stored in an attic for a few years, they damaged a Ruger mini-14. The heat made them hot. I have shot 8x54 that was 70 years old and it was fine.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »
Yeah Davem270 that was my goal with the sheet rock and heavy wood for a door. I think I'm following the spirit of the law. And its in my dry warm (cool) basement, 2 feet off the floor. I figure I am more tamper and fire resistant with the locked cabinet.

I decided to do it after finding the storage requirements in one of the powder company's load handout pamphlets.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 11:35:29 PM »
Thanks for the ideas and comments guys!!

I have quite a bit, been that way for some time. Its in the basement so they have remained very stable. Your sopot on correct, ammo, powder and primers can and will last DECADES upon decades is properly stored. Mine is in a sheet rock cabinet in the corner of the basement on shelves, you all saw in the pic. (OLD pic BTW) The addition of the 6-7 new,  4-8# kegs have spurred this project.  :o Combine that with 30+? one pound cans in various amounts of full.
  I have located the second cabinet. now I just need to get my hands on it. Hopefully that will happen this week...IF it stops snowing long enough to go get it!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 02:18:51 PM »
I should have the second one tomorrow. I also have a line on a third! But this may not be as easy to attain...

I transferred powder to the first one...Good news is, it works very well with very little wasted space. The bad news is I didn't even get 1/3 in the first one!!!  Guess "my eyes are bigger than my belly"... Its a compact fit, so I'm thinking a clear list of the cabinets contents on the inside door. I don't wanna empty the cabinet every time I need the powder in the right rear corner!!  :o ::)

Gotta work on talking its owner out of that third one....

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
After my Dad passed, all his stuff was boxed up in cardboard boxes, and placed in my Brother's barn.  Stacked on a concrete floor since 1989.  I've been shooting it since last year, without failures of any kind.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 11:52:48 PM »
Good idea on the list CW. I need to do that. As it is I have to get down on my knees with a flashlight to reach /see in the back corners. I discovered recently I was nearly out of 2400 - as luck would have it, our store had some! So I'm restocked. But I'm not sure what all I have or how much.  Right now it seems hard to believe I'll ever have enough with the shaky supply line. I need to put some in cases tho.
NRA Life

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
I got the one more cabinet... Its a tiny bit smaller and a different brand than the first.... 

I loaded it up and found that I can EASILY fill another!!!  :o (Sorry for the cell phone pics..)

I don't have any of my Accurate Arms powders OR my 4, 8# kegs in yet... There is also 3 Pyrodex "P" 1# cans, 4 Pyrodex "RS" 1# cans, 3 Pyrodex select BP substistute 1# cans AND 3# of AA#2 pistol powder to the right of the #7 & #9 AA powders, in this next picture that you cannot see.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 01:33:24 PM »
CW,  those are some nice cabinets, and your powder should last a lifetime in them, but if you smell smoke, I suggest you leave the area.  Same would be true here.  I told my wife that if she ever saw smoke coming from my shed to leave the area immediately.... ;D
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 01:37:30 PM »
LOL... It IS a consern.... Thought about even removing it from the house!!  ::) :o ;D

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 07:40:17 AM »
I don't keep my powder in the house. I also don't have a concern for it freezing. I've reloaded for 40 years and never had any problems. I store mine in US army ammo cans which seals but does not protect it from temp.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 01:21:35 PM »
LOL... It IS a consern.... Thought about even removing it from the house!!  ::) :o ;D

CW

You should Check with your Local Fire Department.  On the Local Laws of storing powder.   
Any thing over 20lb has to be stored in a powder magazine here..   A Magazine Is nothing More than a Box built with 1" wood walls. That will fail and not blow.  You can get specs from any powder Co. 
Also  Most Insurance Co. will not insure your house if you have more than 20lb.  FYI
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
ooo! I haven't considered the insurance angle but I think I have heard that before too. Hmm, my garage (separate building) is much too damp and variable for powder storage. Better get some powder into cases.

CW - those cabinets look dandy.

Regarding GI ammo cans. They can seal well. I use several as boat tool boxes. They can seal moisture in real well too.  I make a point of opening each of mine after a trip so they can dry out. I've had stuff rust or get messed up from the dampness sealed into them. I suppose if you kept some of those dessicant packs in the ammo cans it would help.

In my garage, bringing cold wet, or snowy cars into it to melt off and dry causes lots of humidity. That would worry me if I were to try to store powder out there.
NRA Life

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »
Ammo cans and Powder In a fire Equal =  Pipe Bomb!  Not a good Idea..     
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html